Starting issues!

In your (gggGary's) first pic, the rightside cam is 83° ATDC, leftside cam is 360° BTDC.
Where are the pistons in that situation?
I would expect the leftside piston to be at TDC...

That's at TDC for the cam install, just like the manual says and how I was told to install it... Using that mark to be pointing straight up while left hand piston is TDC....

That's also how I had my cam from Hughs installed and the lobes landed just like that also and it worked fine

... Using that mark to be pointing straight up while left hand piston is TDC....

Okay, that's good, then. Pistons and cam align.
Assuming no engine rotation between pics, the next pic of the advancer unit has it NOT at TDC.
Since you've established that the crank/cam relationship is correct, next would be to confirm the ignition timing.

There's some other threads in here discussing advance shaft lengths, excessive play, and binding.
Forum's Google search on "advance length" should bring those up...

Yeah the ignition pictures areNOT at TDC because when I took the pictures I had been kicking it for a few minutes, but when it's all definitely in the right position... I did notice a little binding in the advancers and I needed to use new bushings for the new cam so I may just have to hone a bushing I'm thinking. When I initially installed it the advancers had some play, but now they don't, so I have o figure that out

What do you mean? The advancers? They only install one way... Or the mounting playe for the advancers? Because that only installs one way also... Or the timing plate? Because I've moved the timing plate throughout the whole range and didn't get any different of a response... Like I said the pictures of that installed ignition are NOT with the left hand cylinder at TDC... With it at TDC it looks EXACTLY like the one in the Hughs write up... But I think it's the advancers are binding with the rod and I don't know how that's happening...

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

edited for clarity

Looking at that 1st pic, it appears that the advance unit (which would include the right cylinder's cam section) is 360° ATDC. The slotted disc's pin slot is pointing down.

For reference, this is the position of a normal (non-rephased) advance unit when at right cylinder TDC.

View attachment 59144

Note the slotted disc pinslot is pointing up, the two hacklines are pointing at 8 O'clock.

*Warning* - I'm not showing you what's wrong. Just showing you where it's at.

Also, with a rephase, you have two different TDCs...

Yeah, That's where the pin lands for the LH cylinder to be at TDC, and that's how you install everything on there cam and ignition wise is with the left hand cylinder at TDC...on the Hughs write up, he just moved it to the top for easy install reasons because it's easier to keep the pin in the hole while it's on top and trying to do it on the sides or bottom...so at TDC of left cylinder the pin isn't going to land on top...

Knowing that the crank and cam are aligned, and assuming that the advancer unit and cam right side hasn't been altered, the current position of your (gggGary's 1st pic) advancer unit tells me that the right piston is at the top (its TDC), and that the right half camshaft is at valve overlap. If you rotate the engine a full 360°, then the right cylinder will be at the top of its compression stroke, its 'firing' TDC.

Sometimes you have to set the cookbook down and take a step back to see the bigger picture.
Given that the right piston is at its TDC, the left piston still has 83° to go before it's at its own TDC.

Piston TDC is different from cam/timing TDC, known as 'firing' TDC, when the cam lobes for that cylinder are pointing down, the valves are closed, and ignition/combustion has started.

in Gary's first picture I stated that the left cylinder (riders left) was NOT at TDC... The pictures later on her posted ARE of it at TDC... And with a rephased cam/crank, you have to go by the left hand cylinder. For TDC.... And why you follow all the steps... The second pictures Gary posted of my ignition are of the left cylinder at TDC

... The second pictures Gary posted of my ignition are of the left cylinder at TDC

It's easy to confirm. Pull the plugs and view down into there and see when the piston is at the top.
Then, knowing the 'true' piston TDC position, double-check your timing marks and ignition timing.

I already did that haha that's how I know.... That's why I'm telling you that in Gary's second post its at TDC for the left cylinder... That's why the plugs aren't in it in the picture...

It shouldn't have been, I compared it to my 277 cam from Hughs and it looks like the same location...

you would do well to listen to TM he's a very clever chap :wink2:

Last edited:
as opposed to who? You? The person that got mad even though he doesn't know how to read any of the responses showing that I did in fact take your advice and everybody elses and even posted that I did. then re explained everything I wrote in the opening statement because you didn't read it? I believe I've been pretty patient with all that shit and then you posting some bullshit about leading the horse to water, fuck off man.

Maybe this? I think it's what 2M is sayin'. The pin that locates the advance to the advance shaft can be pushed back and forth so it sticks out of either side of the advance shaft. So it is quite simple to install the advance cam 180 camshaft degrees off. which is 360 crankshaft degrees. result; the plugs will fire on the "wrong" TDC. (I think)

Back