Starting Mystery... XS Guru's opinions wanted

GuytheBrave

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal...
I'm relatively new to the world of XS's I bought mine last summer and rode it until inclement weather forced me to garage it. I decided to take this as an opportunity to do a little maintenance over the winter. I winterized the bike, and a couple months later pulled the carbs off the engine. I purchased a couple simple rebuild kits from Mike's and replaced the float assembly and gasket in both carbs. I also replaced the stock air-filter (which was so horribly worn out, I have to believe it wasn't helping at all..) with two of the pod filters and a separate filter for the crank case breather.
So far so good, but when it was all assembled, it would not start. I tried everything I could think of; new (premium rated) gas, different settings for the idling screw... The best i got was a weak idle for about 6 seconds before it died. By this point I gave up, mostly because my electric start was out of commission and my leg hurt extremely bad from the relentless kicking(needless to say I ordered a new starting relay that night).
A couple months later when spring just began I, pulled the bike out onto the driveway and started messing around again. Still, no luck starting... I thought that maybe my sparkplugs had failed me, so I decided to check those. That's where something interesting happened.
I pulled both plugs and checked for a spark, and both were still working. I then hand tightened the left side plug in and hit the starter as a last-ditch-effort and sure enough the left cylinder fired up! I immediately killed the engine because it was not fully torqued down... After I wrenched both plugs back in I kicked the engine to life in a single try, and, after a long boring winter, I immediately took the beast out for the first ride of the year!
So, if you have stuck with me through my long story, I have a couple questions...
First; any ideas of what caused it to suddenly start... (maybe moisture in the cylinders?)?
Second; anything you would suggest I do next to continue maintenance on the bike?

Attachments

• XS Carb.jpg
    XS Carb.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 189
  • XS Carb1.jpg
    XS Carb1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 183
Looks like an 82 Heritage special. Foam float BS34s with the handlebar choke? Unless it's a canadian spec bike the wheels were changed for mags. You changed float valves? Was the spark plug on the RH wire when it started? You are much tougher than me. More than about 4 kicks and I have the spark plugs out. Were the plugs wet or dry? My fist guess is the plugs were a bit wet from oil or gas and were surface firing instead of jumping the gap. One plug hanging, bumped the ignition voltage up high enough to force a gap jump.

Typical won't start issues;
that tiny passage at the bottom of the float bowl is plugged.
plugged, dirty idle pilot circuits.
plugged dirty petcocks, not using prime when it's set for a long time.
old crappy gas.
poor dirty electrical contacts in many places in the wiring both primary and secondary.
bad fuse clips
weak / bad battery TCI really likes a strong 12 volts.
dirty contacts inside the ignition switch
poor handle bar grounds due to modifications.
vacuum leaks, disconnected leaking vacuum line to petcock.
I'll guess your hard start and non working e-start are related.
Heads up; odds are high it's not a bad relay.
And that brings us to the crux of the problem. Any wake up bike needs an organized plan of attack to bring it back to reliable operation. Each component of each system needs to be operational tested. Once you know the drill and follow an organized plan of attack the start up goes smoothly. check out this bike;

81 engine that runs.jpg

it started and ran after a few cranks of the starter. Yes the starter even works. But the ole gggGary knows a bit about what what needs to be right to light the fire. Believe it or not I hung some headers on it and ran it up and down the road (with "working" brakes on both ends even. This bike came out from years "behind the barn" in North Dakota".

If you want a bike you can RELY on, go read skulls new to me thread up in tech and check off everything on the list or get comfortable with pushing or calling for a pick up truck when you venture out.

Back