state slangs

You know nj1639 i was kind of expecting a big chasm in this thread but all things considered there's not much difference, sure we would say "rabbit in the headlights" and you say "Deer"but were'r pretty much on the same page. I personally think the media (television) plays a big part in this. We get a big mix of world wide programs these days and so do most English speaking countries, helps create a common language.

Down south so poor if it cost a nickel to shit I'd have to throw up or he is so cheap he tosses Nikels around like there manhole covers or I wouldn't give all the shit you could eat for that

I am surprised just how many sayings there are that refer to thick guys, possibly more sayings than there are guys! I wonder what this means? You don't suppose that us guys are .....
..... lets not even go there!

My favorite from the UK: I must go to the toilet, the turtle is poking its head out.

I am surprised just how many sayings there are that refer to thick guys, possibly more sayings than there are guys! I wonder what this means? You don't suppose that us guys are .....

Hi Paul,
- - - as thick as two short planks?
And don't forget the Bristolian's favorite political slogan:-
"Wales for the Welsh! Send the bastards back there!"
The Welsh are a bit touchy though,
When I told a Welsh joke co-worker Spencer-Lewis told me:-
"I dunno why you disparage us Welsh, seeing as your wife is 1/2 Welsh and your kids are 1/4 Welsh,"
"Yes" I said, "but the kids will pass for white."
Spencer didn't speak to me for months after that.

Fred I guess you have spotted my not so very welsh surname. I have spent my first 29 years in NZ and the following 29 years in Cardiff. My 3 kids all have NZ passports so they can pretend to be kiwis when we cross the Severn Bridge into England on our shopping raids to Bristol. There was a sign near the Severn Bridge 20 something years ago that said, "Keep Wales clean, dump your rubbish in England".

Cardiff is nice and quite but could do with regular snow in Winter and more negative temperatures during the Winter. Maybe I should have moved to Canada all those years ago?

Fred I guess you have spotted my not so very welsh surname. I have spent my first 29 years in NZ and the following 29 years in Cardiff. My 3 kids all have NZ passports so they can pretend to be kiwis when we cross the Severn Bridge into England on our shopping raids to Bristol. There was a sign near the Severn Bridge 20 something years ago that said, "Keep Wales clean, dump your rubbish in England".
Cardiff is nice and quiet but could do with regular snow in Winter and more negative temperatures during the Winter. Maybe I should have moved to Canada all those years ago?

Hi Paul,
you may have more Welshness than you believe. There is the small hamlet of Sutton located in the Vale of Glamorgan.
And I always reckoned there was something dodgy about that bridge.
And surely there's snow to be found in North Wales?
With the advantage that you don't have to shovel it off the sidewalks 4 months of the year.

I always thought a couple shots of something distilled was necessary to delve into the Gaelic cultures, but back on subject:

Locals have accused me of ESO :'equipment smarter than operator' at times. that might be only as local as their property, thought.

In MN we don't have a 'casserole', we have a 'hotdish'. Minneapoils tourists are referred to as 'Citiots'.

Fredintoon, I found the following place in West Wales. I see you politely left me a hidden message:

Sutton.jpg

I shall take heed!!!

When I worked in the oil industry in West Africa for Schlumberger Wireline, everything had a name or an acronym. On-site problems of any kind were categorized and logged:
  1. Group 1 uphole cable failure
  2. Group 2 downhole cable failure
  3. Group 3 uphole engine or other equipment failure
  4. Group 4 downhole tool failure
  5. etc....

A Group 7 was a non-equipment or software failure. I can still remember my instructor yelling in his thick French accent, "Pierre - do not do zee Group 7 f@ck-up or zee client, 'ee will 'nut be 'appy!"

I still use the term "Group 7" when I mess-up.

Wakey, wakey, hands of snaky.........Sandwich short of a picnic.......dumber than pig shit.............deaf as a post..........personality of a polystyrene cup........if they had half a brain they would be dangerous........as useful as a 10 ton statue of a dead dog..............they are a wet blanket, (boring people or party poopers)..............Chook for brains................

Back