Stator check

Mark19

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i have a 1980 xs650. It had been sitting for 25years when i took it out of the garage. I have gotten it running, however most recently it died after about an hour and a half long drive. It drained the battery. I have replaced the reg/rec and have also replaced the brushes as well as the battery so i know that that is not the problem.

1. I recently did a test on the resistence of the rotor which measured 1.9 ohms. (through forum and book i know this should be 5-7 ohms.)

2. I am getting ready to replace the rotor but i would also like to check the stator to see if that needs to be replaced as well. I am confused about the.5 ohms between white wires or between white wires and ground or between white wire and yellow wire. Is it possible for someone to simplify this for me?

3. Also curly's comments about the resistence of the meter being one ohm itself could throw off this measurement.

4. If the stator is good i am thinking about just replacing the rotor. However if the stator is bad it seems more cost effective and better to do the Banshee or permanent magnet conversion. any and all thoughts on this conversion are appreciated. i am mostly concerned that this isabove my skill level. I understand how to mount the system but do not 100 percent understand the wiring.

5. Does anyone know where i can get an inexpensive standard rotor? and or stator? perhaps someone did a banshee swap and has left over parts.

6. Does anyone know where i can get inexpensive parts to do the banshee swap.

I know that this is a lot but i appreciate all the help. I have gotten stranded on the road three times already thinking i have fixed the problem. Thanks again.

The stator check is done with the multi-pin connector disconnected. Also disconnect the single yellow connector.

Ohmmeter on the lowest scale. Touch the meter leads together. The meter may read something like 0.7 ohms. Now measure any 2 white to white connector pins. There are 3 different combinations of white wires to be measured.. If the meter reads 1.2 ohms...............subtract the 0.7 ohms..........result is 0.5 ohms. Measure yellow to any white and if it reads 0.9 ohms.............minus 0.7 ohms = 0.25 ohms approximately.

Measure any white to engine bare metal (using high ohms scale) should be infinity (open circuit)

www.customrewind.com is highly recommended. They do quality work and can even lend you a rotor puller. You need to use the correct puller.

Yes custom rewind is the place to go for a rewound rotor
I purchased one a year and a half ago and the only problem I have had is the magnet became week for the pick up
2 bucks for 2 new magnets and I am back on the road

I haven't been able to get my 78 650 to charge. New rotor, new stator, new rec.regulator, and still not charging at all. Rotor ohms out correctly. Can I not check the output of the stator? What kind of ac volts should I be getting? What pins or wire color can I measure this voltage at? Really thought when I just put the new rotor and stator on my probs would be solved. A really sharp young man just left here with lots wiring 650s experience was stumped also. Sure would appreciate some info. Thanks stan

Before you try testing the output you need to check for proper input.
On the 78 power goes to the regulator on the brown wire. If the battery voltage on this brown wire is low the regulator turn on and sends power to the brush on a green wire. Power then flows through the rotor out thye other brush on a black wire to the harness ground. It also grounds through the mount screws for that brush.
You need to check the voltage on the brown wire at the reg. It should read very close to battery voltage. If no or low voltage you need to figure out why.
If good then with the key on, not running, check voltage at the green wire brush, it should be close to battery voltage.
If not check the ground on the reg.
Another thing you can do is a reg bypass test. With the bike running, meter hooked to battery, jump from battery positive to the green wire at the brush. This should make the battery voltage rise. If it does then the rotor and stator are working. The reg is the problem. Check as I said above, voltages and ground.
Have you read Curly's charging guide? reading it may help you in your trsting.
Leo

Oh and yes you can test for AC volts. With it running meter on ac volts probe into the connector where the stator plugs into the harness. Voltage can be 10+volts AC. With the reg bypassed it can read as high as 20 volts AC.
Leo

Hello Leo, thanks for the breakdown. Right after I posted my ? I found the Curlys guide to problems with charging. Couldn't believe all the step by step instructions. I will do as you suggested and really appreciate the help. Thats one step at a time I can follow. Have a great day stan

Back