stator question

tysonhumphrey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 80 stator and it is ungrounded. Someone before me had the stator hooked up to the separate reg/rect. It must have worked. I thought the stator needed to be grounded for separate reg rects? The bike ran last summer. It was blowing the 20 amp main fuse. The rotor windings were falling apart. I put a different rotor in the bike off of a 73. The frame is a 79. The motor I believe is an 81. Stator is 80 plus. The bike has points and the 70 to 79 coils. Just wondering if this will all work?

Stator or brushes for the rotor? The OEM separate reg rec uses a grounded inner brush. The radio shack dodge set up don't.

the brushes is what im talking about. They look ungrounded to me. Not sure how they had it set up with the separate reg rect

It's straight forward to check. Unplug the voltage regulator/rectifier and check continuity between the inner brush holder and ground. It should read infinity (no needle movement) if the brushes aren't grounded. The early (separate regulator rectifier) bikes should have a grounded inner brush. the regulator sends 12 volts as needed to the outer brush to provide current to power the alternator. The later combined regulator/rectifier bikes and owner conversion Radio shack/Chrysler rectifier/regulators should have +12 on the inner brush and the regulator grounds and ungrounds the outer brush to do the same thing, provide current to power the alternator.

Well I know the brushes are not grounded. Im guessing the reason the guy I bought the bike from was having electrical problems was because of the ungrounded stator ( earlier model stator) hooked up to the later model reg rect. So could I just get a different stator or get a different reg rect. Or should I ground the brushes? Not sure of the options I have. I just want things right before I try to fire it up.

Posted via Mobile

Reread my post please, late model brushes are NOT grounded, early stators have grounded brushes, pictures of your brush holder and regulator would help us point you in the right direction.

I have the late model stator 80 plus. Sorry to confuse you. It has the brown wire that looks red.

Posted via Mobile

And which regulator are you going to use? Sounds like your charging system will be all "late model' so this wiring diagram should do the deed.
latechargingdiagram.JPG

Last edited:
You can esily use the seperat old style mechaical reg and rec buy just grounding the brown brush wire. They don't have to be grounded at the brushes. If you look at one of the 79 and older bikes you find a black wire on the inner brush, this leads back into the harness ground. You can do the same on the later years to use an old style reg.
Not the best way to do it but it can be done.
If you are using any ignition but a TCI then any good rotor will make the bike charge. The TCI needs to have the magnet in the rotor to trigger the ignition. Points, Pamco, Boyer, None need the magnet.
Leo

Things are starting to make sense now. So if I get a new reg rectifier combo for which year would I need? My motor is an 81 and has points? Not sure what parts to get? Thanks alot

Posted via Mobile

Tyson, that is an 80 up stator. It has both brushes isolated from ground. You can see that both brushes have the insulators on them. The wires coming out are 3 whites, brown, green and yellow. The reg and rec you have are the 70-79 units and are not very good, ok when new after all these years not so much.
A combo reg/rec from the later, 80 up bikes is what will work. Yamaha used a very simular unit on many models of bike. Main difference is how long the wires are.
Check on one of the parts places with parts break downs to see if the alternator uses brushes, if so it should work.
The Chrysler/Radio Shack reg/rec will work well with that stator too. No nylon screws.
Leo

Back