Some electrical changes and upgrades are needed. I'm not sure I'd go as far as you're contemplating, at least not all at once anyway. If things go wrong, you won't know which of the many changes you implemented caused the problem. Do them one, or a couple at a time.

I guess I really should expand upon that last post. Lots of the stuff you're contemplating, while it may make sense in general electrical wiring scenarios, really isn't needed for the 650. Relays, sure they're good, but not really needed. These stock systems have been running OK for 30+ years without them. And if it was something needed, I'm sure it would be a hot topic on 650 forums. It's not.

Some items you mentioned are good, and I think required. Yes, ditch the RLU. It's stupid and a problem just waiting to happen now that it's so old. I know, some still favor it, but I think it was an unneeded item even when new. The headlight failure indicator will go away with the RLU. You can then re-wire that light as a charge indicator.

Your '77 shouldn't have a brake shoe wear indicator. But, maybe it's an early model and does have it. No matter, I would ditch that. If you neglect your bike to the point where that light comes on, you're fucked anyway, lol.

I like the way you are going with the electrics. They are the most important system on the bike. Using relays is fine to do, but not really a necessity. It just adds complexity. The 77 came with only one fuse. It would be wise to use the 4 fuse system that came on all of the Specials. The extra fuses will make it much simpler to troubleshoot if any gremlins show up later.

I very much don't like running on only one taillight without redundancy. Turn signals will be normally solid on as running lights (rear lenses must go red). They'll also all blink as hazards, with a turn signal temporarily cancelling the hazard on the opposite side.

I would be interested in seeing the process and result, especially if you are using the stock housing.

Well this all sounds very interesting. Quite a challenge ( at least it would be for me) Haha!
Good luck and keep us posted!

This all started back in October when I pulled the tank, airboxes, carbs, and seat for the first time. The electrics took on visual prominence and I knew an overhaul was coming down the pike. I had all sorts of shoddy diy connections, dead ends, etc., etc. A rat's nest. An overhaul to come, but for the time being I would get the stock system working and see what needs to be fixed or replaced.

But an overhaul had been on my mind.

While I thoroughly enjoy the particulars of commuting every day on a classic motorcycle, we must admit there are some factors we would wish improved. Safety being one of them, if not the mother of all.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to increase my chances of getting home each night is to make myself more visible. I know I can't close the gap completely, and I'll still ride as if I'm invisible, but I want to give other drivers the best chance of seeing me. My Ferrari yellow helmet isn't a fashion statement. When the time comes, my Aerostitch will have the Hi-Vis trim.

I wish my bike was brighter on the road. Running lights would be nice.

I had a run of 1157 incandescent taillights blowing like crazy. With no redundancy through running lights, I had no lights on my tail at all. As a daily commuter, I was troubleshooting this amongst 15 mile commutes on a 60hr week. I tried a vibration-resistant LED 1157, but it was confusing the brakelight checker. Some dampening bubble wrap behind the reflector keeps the incandescents going.

I live in Phoenix, and I know y'all don't believe us when we say it rains, it does. A few times a year. Not enough for me to have a second mode of transportation. Not enough for drivers to be practiced in careful, smooth, predictable driving in inclement weather. In a 35mph section, some will be doing 10, others 40. It's a mad house out there, and visibility in our monsoons drops to practically nothing. Sometimes all I want is some hazards. But those will have to let turn signals work because those are important, too.

While it is true that the stock system supports the usual load very well and relays aren't necessary, SPDT relays will allow me to get my intended functionality and control out of the stock 1156 stalks and sockets.

I am building a custom harness, but much of the other wiring will be stock. For example the small harnesses from the headlight bucket to the various handlebar and center clusters. The alternator, SSR, stater relay. New connectors, but OEM style.

Some original wires will be repurposed. For example, when you switch on a turn signal, there is flashed power from a brown/white sent down either the dark green or chocolate wires to the respective lights. Fair enough. There is also a red/yellow that is made to ground when in either L or R settings. This usually goes to the flasher cancelling unit. I will use it to switch the hazards relay, temporarily suspending it as either turn signal runs. That's the theory, at least.

The rear stalks will have connectors added at the stalk, allowing for signal relocation or built-in lights in case of luggage bags.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm pretty confident I'll come back out on the other side, but let's just say I'm watching this thread as well.:popcorn:

Daniel I hear you on the visibility issue. I find myself at certain times of the year, commuting after dark in dense urban traffic and visibility is a prime consideration for me. On my other bike I run additional LED's front and rear.
On my XS, when I finally get it roadworthy I intend to add a couple discreet LED's to both the front and rear. They draw such a small amount of juice, but they are so bright. They even give added daytime visibility.
I run a set of these on my fork legs and they throw out a rediculous amount of light.
IMG_4330.JPG

Parts are rolling in. These are all the component upgrades, other than the VR-115 already in use.

SPDT micro-relays from Cycle Terminal. LEDs and accompanying flasher and brake light modulator from SuperBrightLEDS. ATM fuse block from NAPA. Rectifier and regulator from the other side of the world via EBay.

IMG_20170302_151222525_HDR.jpg

Wow - look at you getting all wired up!

Anxious to see how it all works - especially in the dark!

Cheers,

Pete

This is really going to be a one off custom harness when you get through with it.
I'm also looking forward to seeing your LED lights when you're up and running.
I'm sure it will be much tidier than my shade tree mechanic work! :wink2:

Mailman, I don't think I have anything to teach you about tidiness.
Today I fabricated the mounting bracket for my new rectifier. I used 5twins excellent bit of engineering as inspiration. I did not directly copy his work. I enjoy re purposing material and using things that I have on hand. So I started with an aluminum bracket that I already had.
View attachment 95591
The rectifier terminals are 3/8" instead of the standard 1/4", so I trimmed them with a Dremel cut off wheel to fit.
View attachment 95592
I wound up with this
View attachment 95593

View attachment 95594
View attachment 95595
View attachment 95596
And here is a photo of it installed in the factory location , mounted to the bottom of the battery box.
View attachment 95597
Tomorrow I will re install the battery and gas tank and fire this pig up and see if all this modern whiz bang electronics fixes my charging problem.
Keeping my fingers crossed
Bob

The bike in this thread is 100%, with no doubt, Stella!!!

http://www.xs650.com/threads/77-d-drooling-time.659/

None of the pic links are good, but I'm absolutely sure. Three broken fins, tank dent, the dude's name on old paperwork.

A while ago I mentioned finding a previous owner who is a pilot and runs a custom seat company, but 'wouldn't build one for an old bike'. This is the guy.

I'd to love to see that posting!

I've sort of assumed no engine work has been done on her, and the forum's comments in the thread seem to confirm that. If it had been done it would've been by this owner or before him. With a known replacement speedo now showing 27000m, I haven't had a clue what the real mileage was. With 33k miles in 2010 and my 1800, I'm going to guess Stella's pushing toward 45-50k without a refresh.

Last edited:
Daniel, I think it's very cool that you have found out some of the history of your bike.
When I bought my bike from a dealer in Denver, I was told that the bike was sold by the son of the original owner.
So I first I contacted the dealer and told them that I would love , just to know the back story of the bike and asked them if they could pass my phone number to the seller and let them decide if they wanted to call me. They told me that they didn't keep records like that. I didn't really believe them and I posted an ad with a picture on the Denver craigslist asking if anyone knew this bike and that I just wanted to know the history of it. Somebody flagged my post as inappropriate ( I suspect the dealer) and they closed my ad down.
I think it would be very cool just to know the story of your motorcycle.

That's too bad about your Craigslist post getting flagged. I'm grateful for finding any new piece of Stella's history.

Grateful indeed, Pete.

Yes, rescued these from twits.. just in time. My last actually had the air filters in the box's backwards blocking the intakes.. PO didn't like the sound of his new mufflers Lol ..

Daniel, I know you plan to install a 4 fuse box on your electrical upgrade. The '77's originally came with just one fuse for the main power supply. So what are the additional 3 fuses for?

I know I have considered the benefit of installing a fused power block on my bike, just so I don't have a bunch of things wired directly to my battery. Such as accessory lights.

The later models got a four fuse system, lucky ducks.

Mine will be unswitched main (red), switched main (brown), ignition (red/white), lights (blue).

I may put the unswitched main on a single inline and put a fuse on the charge system.

Back