Steps to remove front wheel

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've removed my brake caliber, the tachometer cable and castellated nut on my front wheel. Do I need to remove anything else or should the wheel spindle slide out? Does the spindle unscrew? I'm at a standstill on my front wheel removal.

There are a couple of bolts at the bottom of the forks, take those out to unclamp the fork to the axle.

The axle is clamped on the left hand side, down by where you removed the speedo cable. Loosen the two nuts (they don't have to be removed), stick a #2 Philips screwdriver through the hole in the end of the axle and twist/pull it out .....

AxleClamp.jpg

Note that there is a specific way to install that clamp on the bottom of the fork leg. It has a direction arrow stamped on the bottom and it should point forward.

Also, it's not necessary to remove the caliper, the wheel/disc will slide right out. Just don't accidentally squeeze the front brake lever while the wheel is out or the pads will be forced together tight (and they're a bitch to get pried back apart). I stick a little wedge between the pads while the wheel is removed.

How do you remove the castellated nut. I have an xs2 and need to get the disk rotor off the fork

Back