Still trying to ground my bar switch

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've read and looked for this answer but I can't figure it out. I have the 24-2060 Bar switch from mikes. Has a blue/white, red, brown and a black wire. The only thing that doesn't work is the electric start. The black wire isn't attached to anything right now. But it should be grounded right? I tried that and it won't get the starter to work. When the black is attached to a power wire the button will work but it grounds through the throttle cable and melts it. This doesn't make sense. How does everyone else wire this switch? It shouldn't be this hard for me. It's only 4 wires...

Posted via Mobile

it seems likely the problem is at the solenoid. the solenoid has two small wires a red white which should hook to 12 volt + after the ignition switch and the blue white which should ground through the handle bar push button. So to test it supply +12 to the red white and then try your starter button with the black wire grounded.

The solenoid works but the bike wants to burn up. Haha. I have the bar switch ungrounded, could that affect anything? Shouldn't the black Wire be the ground?

Posted via Mobile

So its gotta be how it's wired. Using my Meter is helping. Haha, thanks 650skull...

So the switch has 4 wires

Blue/white and it's connected to white
Red/white on the switch going to orange/yellow from the coil
Brown going to brown on the keyed ignition
Black connected to nothing now since it doesn't do anything and burns up the throttle cable when connected to power.

This seems wrong. The switch works fine if I only use kick...

Posted via Mobile

Open up the switch and look to see which color wire goes where.
In the housing you have two switches, the engine stop switch and the start button.
Your stock right side control went into the headlight bucket and had three wires. A blue/white and two red/whites. The blue/white went to the start button. The red/whites went to the engine stop switch.
On your new right side control what ever two wires that hook to the engine stop switch hook to the two red/white wires.
The wire that hooks to the start button hooks to the blue/white wire. The last wire hooks to either the start button or the body of the housing. If it does hook it to ground.
Leo

So I've read and looked for this answer but I can't figure it out. I have the 24-2060 Bar switch from mikes. Has a blue/white, red, brown and a black wire. The only thing that doesn't work is the electric start. The black wire isn't attached to anything right now. But it should be grounded right? I tried that and it won't get the starter to work. When the black is attached to a power wire the button will work but it grounds through the throttle cable and melts it. This doesn't make sense. How does everyone else wire this switch? It shouldn't be this hard for me. It's only 4 wires...

Posted via Mobile

Are you still useing the rubber handlebar mounts.Make sure your handlebars have a good ground connection to the frame from the bottom of the stud on the handlebar clamp

Donald nailed it....make up a short ground wire and attach it to the nut that holds your handlebar riser to the top triple tree...and ground it to the tree...your bars are grounding through your throttle cable and likely your clutch cable as well...

i have the ground connected to the stud that holds the tach on. how can i check to make sure thats actually grounded? i still cant get anything to happen with my start button. the switch works fine. i should just take the starter off and run kick only...

first thing I would do is check ground from battery to motor to frame to forks to bars. any combo should read the same.mine the start button gives ground to close relay.

Would I do a continuity test on the wire?

Posted via Mobile

You need to run a ground wire for all the electrical functions in the front end back to the frame close to the battery negative cable. If your battery negative cable goes to the engine you may have poor continuity back to the frame because of corrosion in the motor mount bolts .Also if your battery box is still rubber mounted make sure the negative cable is not partially insulated from the frame or engine there. you do not want the front end ground circuit going through the steering stem bearings as it will cause pitting of the bearings due to the resistance from the grease.I have seen vehicle electrical systems doo strange things because of poor grounds

Back