stock 650 paint clear coat???

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have a 77 i am slowly converting into a cafe, until i get a chance to strip it down and repaint everything i was gonna try to shine up the original paint (lookin pretty drab) can anyone tell me if they have a clear coat on top? there is spots that look like it might but others places where it doesnt. thanks in advance.

Hard to say. If it's metallic it will have a clear coat. If it's a solid color it may or may not. To find out, you can find a discreet area and sand a little spot. If it has a clear coat it will sand off white, if not it will be the color. You could try rubbing compound and buff it out.

Hard to say. If it's metallic it will have a clear coat. If it's a solid color it may or may not. To find out, you can find a discreet area and sand a little spot. If it has a clear coat it will sand off white, if not it will be the color. You could try rubbing compound and buff it out.

A somewhat less destructive method might be to use a bit of paint cleaner/polish on a rag to polish a small area. If the rag comes up with paint color on it there is no clear coat. On my 78' SE the tank is cleared but the sidecovers are not.

roy

77 maxi maroon was solid color/clear coat and all XS's were clearcoat I think, even the very early bikes were metallic/clear coat. IIRC the solid black Heritage specials were clear coat also.

Back