Stock Dual Disk VS Brembo

Thanks for all the info. Great stuff. Cant really get those XJ750 Seca rotors in the UK I dont think.

I'll be putting in Hughs 2in lowering kit (which I also procured from Pandemonium) so I'll look at my forks then. Will your instructions change with lowering Leo? Cheers

Got confirmation from Pandemonium about drilling the callipers. Yes, its so the bolt goes through the caliper and then threads into the adapter plate (doesn't thread onto the caliper). SIlly me.

Got another decision to make..... The kit recommends filing down the caliper to fit the xs rotors / disks. I have a couple of buddies here in the UK that left their calipers alone and had their standard disks skimmed instead. What are the pros and cons of either route? Which would be best to do?

cheers for all the help. Love this forum :)
Further to Gangstahat's note above regarding 750 Seca rotors, there seem to be several similar stock rotors from different early '80's Yamaha models that could be direct, bolt-in replacements for the stock 7mm thick XS650 rotor. I bought and installed a 5mm thick one that likely came off an '80-'81 XS850 or 1100, which used the same rotors at the right front and rear - you would want a right-hand one, in order to have the slots slanted correctly. Seems to work just fine with the stock XS650 caliper and master cylinder. I didn't weigh the original 650 rotor and the 5mm one, but just by picking them up, I could tell a significant weight difference. Poor man's Brembo, I guess.

RG doesn't post any more.......These are from his album that i have from my collection

Go back and start from post #2 and read RG's posts for more info. Plate thickness and extra washers/spacers where needed
Copyright user288_pic10261_1355422715.jpg Copyright user288_pic11991_1363110002.jpg copyright user288_pic10290_1355531836.jpg copyright user288_pic10292_1355531836.jpg copyright user288_pic10293_1355531836.jpg copyright user288_pic10294_1355531836.jpg copyright user288_pic9623_1352132304.jpg copyright user288_pic9624_1352132304.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I reckon I'll use RG's templates as a guide as well as Pandemoniums site. If it gets too complicated I'll just go ahead and buy it prefabbed.

Im assuming to get this right a few things need to be considered; Obviously the spacing of the mounting holes for both the caliper and fork lower, but also the angle the caliper sits, the spacing between the fork and the bracket, and also achieving the correct placement of the caliper so it seats on the disc correctly.

A bit of playing around i could probably get it. I do enjoy fab work, though im relatively inexperienced.

Do you think this is worth the trouble or should i bite the bullet and buy one and support a business.

Cheers

I just did one a few months ago and still have a little fiddlin to do with it. If you like to fab stuff give it a try. I had some plate at work and simply looked at RG's install and started with it. This pic is before I stripped the paint off the fork legs and drilled the rotor. Just waiting for a rainy day to finish.
20190127_145547.jpg

The early 72-76 rotors have a different offset than the later 77 on rotors.

Last edited:
A bit of playing around i could probably get it. I do enjoy fab work, though im relatively inexperienced.
Do you think this is worth the trouble
or should i bite the bullet and buy one and support a business.
Cheers

What have you got to loose

Gary - Cheers mate, a bit of fiddling around with it and i think I'll be able to get there. I'll post my results when i get into it. Im picking up the caliper tomorrow.

650Skull - Thats exactly what Im thinking! haha

Thread is on blue spot Yam calipers, Post #99 refers to brembo 4 pot caliper bracket.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/fazer-blue-spot-caliper.197/page-5

P.S. Be sure the bracket you are making is suited to the caliper you have. Earlier brembos require/have a greater distance between the bolt hole mounts in the caliper. e.g. the one offered by motolanna suits the later brembo caliper with the shorter hole mounting...and is different to the one shown in post #99 in the above link.
I'd suggest buying you're calipers first if you haven't done so already and go from there once you know what you're working with.....good luck.

Amazing resource you've linked me to hotdog, you're a bloody legend!! Now to get out the verniers and start measuring!!

The Brembo calipers RG used come in 42mm and 65mm bracket mount spacing...........RG had the 65mm
The odd tip bit in these
http://www.xs650.com/threads/brembo-brake-adapter.23552/
http://www.xs650.com/threads/brembo-rear-brakes.20951/
Thread is on blue spot Yam calipers, Post #99 refers to brembo 4 pot caliper bracket.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/fazer-blue-spot-caliper.197/page-5

P.S. Be sure the bracket you are making is suited to the caliper you have. Earlier brembos require/have a greater distance between the bolt hole mounts in the caliper. e.g. the one offered by motolanna suits the later brembo caliper with the shorter hole mounting...and is different to the one shown in post #99 in the above link.
I'd suggest buying you're calipers first if you haven't done so already and go from there once you know what you're working with.....good luck.

Not quite right. Brembo calipers come in 40 mm and 65 mm bolt hole spacing. The 40 mm are the oldest/earliest version, used in the early to mid 90s. The 65 mm came later, around 97 or 98 I believe. Also note that they have different pads and pad retaining setups! And if I remember correctly, the mounting bolt thread is different too. 10x1.50 for the 40 mm, and 10x1.25 for the later 65 mm type. Also, the banjo bolt thread may differ from Yamaha standard, as both 10x1.00 and 10x1.25 is used for banjo bolts.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I bought my caliper and it has 65mm, so from here im going to use all this info and start mocking up some test adapters.

20190408_141617.jpg
Cheers guys, I bought my caliper and it has 65mm, so from here im going to use all this info and start mocking up some test adapters.
Then you will need M10x1.25 mounting bolts for the calipers. A flat plate adapter will require a disc offset of 21 mm, for a 5 mm thick disc, and an XS with 35 mm forks. If that is enough for spoke clearance, I cannot say. My ISR disc has 23 mm offset and is 5 mm thick, so I had to use 2 mm thick washers between fork lugs and adapter plate. I plan to spot face the plate around the caliper holes 2 mm later, and remove the washers. (Adapter plate is 12 mm thick)

Last edited:
Back