Stock looking exhaust for a Special

TheRepairMan

78 XS650SE owner
Reaction score
I've searched and searched and can't seem to find this set up anywhere. This is exactly what I'm wanting for my 78 SE restoration. Any ideas on where to look?

halco%20shorty.jpg

-Roger

That appears to be the stock '82 or '83 muffler on an after market header. Must have cut the muffs off the stock pipes. Mikesxs has the headers and pamcopete has a thread on mounting those type of muffs to singlewall headers.........

That appears to be the stock '82 or '83 muffler on an after market header. Must have cut the muffs off the stock pipes. Mikesxs has the headers and pamcopete has a thread on mounting those type of muffs to singlewall headers.........

Agree, the headers look like the ones on this page

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-44.html#products

"Chrome Replacement Headpipes - 1 1/2" OD x 1 3/8" (35mm.) ID x 35" Long with
a slight kickup on the ends. When Mounted the ends of the headpipes are approx.
5" past the back edge of the engine Clutch(RH) Cover."

I don't think those are Mike's. The lower bend is to long and curved. The upper bend is farther from the head.
Not sure on the mufflers but look like a magaphone. I think Niche Cycle sells some like that.
Leo

I don't think those are Mike's. The lower bend is to long and curved. The upper bend is farther from the head.
Not sure on the mufflers but look like a magaphone. I think Niche Cycle sells some like that.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo! Sure enough, Niche Cycle shows the ones I was looking for as well as some others I'm now considering. And, thanks for the other replies, too, guys!

I think I'm going to have a local guy actually make my head pipes. The only thing is the finish. If I chrome them they will blue, yet anything else and they won't look stock. I could buy used stock pipes and have them modded, but I'm not sure what to do...???

Oh, and what about the balance pipe? I haven't seen much talk here about connecting the two head pipes together, or is that just a thing of the past?

-R

I like to think that the crossover pipe helps balance out minor differences in the sync of the carbs/cylinders, maybe smooth out the exhaust note too.....I dunno, I've run with and without....presently without.

Don't worry about the crossover. Those are Emgo Wide Mouth Bell megaphones and they work very nicely as replacement muffs on the XS650; no need to fool with jetting, just bolt 'em on and go. Be sure, though, that the vent hole in the head pipe is covered by the clamped section of the muffler. If you slide the muff so far forward that the hole is exposed to the open muffler chamber, you'll create an air leak that will cause popping under engine braking.

Don't worry about the crossover. Those are Emgo Wide Mouth Bell megaphones and they work very nicely as replacement muffs on the XS650; no need to fool with jetting, just bolt 'em on and go. Be sure, though, that the vent hole in the head pipe is covered by the clamped section of the muffler. If you slide the muff so far forward that the hole is exposed to the open muffler chamber, you'll create an air leak that will cause popping under engine braking.

The ones that are still on my bike look like the same design, but they came from JC Whitney over 20 years ago so are in rough shape now. My head pipes came from there also and they have to go. They were a terrible design IMO, and never looked or worked very well. No drain whole in them, but they just aren't made well. They were cheap, though, and should provide enough of a pattern for my exhaust guy to fab a new set from. I really like the MAC header pipes and megaphones, but they're pricey for me.

MVC-0133S.JPG

-R

Back