stressing over tires/taking internet tires to local shop to mount

Guess I'll thow my hat in the ring...

I went through this recently. I have 19/18 spoked wheels, they are the high shouldered rims, and have no drop center. (people have tried to tell me its no different from mounting wheels with a drop center, but I'll beg to differ) I spent about 10mins getting the old tire off, using CAR tire irons (mistake 1) and rims protectors (from mikesXS, mistake 2). It took 3 hours of wrestling and cursing to get the new front tire on and I ended up with a punctured tube...

I did some more research, and found that motorcycle tire irons are called spoons for a reason, they are round on the end just like a spoon, and they cost as much as I paid for mounting and balancing. I have installed motorcycle tires before, but they had drop centers and were tubeless... easy peasy.

The problem with the rim protectors mikes sells, is they are very thick. This is fine for wheels with a drop center, but makes things very difficult with out a drop center. I finally got the tire on by using some plastic from a juice bottle (worked great with no damage, save for the tube).

Lastly, all added up, throw in the cost of dyna beads... and I actually saved almost $150 in total. Mostly by getting the tires online, but secondarily by having a professional who already had the tools, mount them and balance.

Last edited:
Geting them off relativly easy break the bead cut around the sidewalls with a razerknife remove tread. I used a die grinder with a cutter wheel to cut thru the steel cable in the bead area smokes like hell but faster than fine tooth hacksaw blade. I read this in another tire thread it works. Now if I can find my motorcycle tire irons. I might try try to put my new tire on.
Actually this method works quite well. I don't usually do it this way, but I have in the past and It's and easy way to remove a old tire, especially if it's cold.

I have 4 bikes on the road, 3 or 4 more "under the wrench". Paying someone to change and balance my tires would put me in the poor house, lol. You can pay like $500 for a No Mar or $49.95 ($40 on sale) for the HF motorcycle tire changing attachment. I built my own base. You can pay $100 for a motorcycle specific changing bar or just buy the plastic ends for $18.95 and make your own bar. I've had a homemade wheel stand for years so I can spoke, true, and static balance my own wheels. Yes, wheel weights are expensive so I made a mold and cast my own. Yes, I'm cheap, lol.

I brought in two rims with old tires, and two new tires from motorcucle superstore and it cost my $67 for both tires, including "tire disposal fee", which is a steal because the tire disposal fee is incorporated into the price of the new tires from the shop (which, I didn't get my tires from)... Though, if if they had to take my wheels off, they would have charged me an hour labour. only took an hour or two to get em back.

Two schools of thought yes the odd shop wants to mount only tires they sell when we buy off ebay we are taking away local business. Some shops are glad to get business even if it is just a tire mount my solution get prices from as many local shops as possible (Hell we ride 100S of miles for not much more then enjoyment why not ride a 100 miles for a tire if that is your only option for a local dealer) pick the best deal for the tire "you want!"(dont be talked into buying anything else) and buy it from that dealer You keep the local guys in business and if it costs a little more then E-Gay so what your local guy will fix it up somewhere down the road.

Just my two cents here. Locally there is an older guy with a old shop called Cyclops that spokes wheel and does tires and I don't know what else. There's old pictures on the wall and some stuff that has been on the shelf for a while. I took the front wheel off my SRX in there and he put a tire on for me for about $100. He's probably in his 60s and when I called and asked what time he closed and if he had a tire for me he said he did have a tire and he closed at 5 but if I got there at 430 the only thing I would see would be his tail lights as he left! He's been around . And I want him to stay around. So I'll buy my tires from him even if I have to pay more. People come from several hundred miles to see him and get stuff done. There is a member here I met at a show who traveled three hours I think to have him spoke some wheels. :thumbsup:

I will never understand why anybody would even consider putting a cheap tire on any vehicle, much less a motorcycle. Especially a motorcycle. If I am passing an 18 wheeler in heavy traffic, I would rather not have to wonder if My $23 Wang-Poo front tire is going to let go. I will put on a quality tire, like a Dunlop, and then worry about other things. Items like tires are not a place to pinch pennies. Just My 2 cents.:shrug:

Back