Stuck in gear / help

Chizel

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just finished my rebuild of the engine in my XS. Fired it up, runs good, now to put it in gear. I put it into gear & it killed the engine. Now it is locked in gear. I tried rolling it forward & back but still can't get back to neutral, or anywhere else for that matter, just seems to be stuck in gear. Anything I could look for or any tips anyone has of what is wrong? Thanks.

I just finished my rebuild of the engine in my XS. Fired it up, runs good, now to put it in gear. I put it into gear & it killed the engine. Now it is locked in gear. I tried rolling it forward & back but still can't get back to neutral, or anywhere else for that matter, just seems to be stuck in gear. Anything I could look for or any tips anyone has of what is wrong? Thanks.

i would start with a clutch adjustment as buzz suggested, doing a full adjustment of the worm gear and the lever. If theres still trouble i would take apart the clutch plates and inspect them for wear and give them a nice scrub with some clean oil and a toothbrush.

Remove the neutral detente plunger. See if you can get it out of 1st.
If so, fix the plunger and its spring.
If not, the right cover may need to be removed, inspect the shift mechanism...

Back