Stuck wheels

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
With the weather being so crappy I decided to do so vehicle maintenance before the it gets nice out and I can't get to it lol, so I pulled my truck in the garage to replace the brake pads and front calipers and rotors. normally brakes pose no issues for me but everytime I want to pull the Aluminum rims off the steel hubs it become more and more of an issue. On smaller vehicles a good kick normally does the trick but maybe since these wheels are so large it's more surface to stick?IDK in any case I learned a good trick for getting the front wheels to break loose. I loosen the lug nut to just a fuzz loose and do a couple of weaving donuts in the road. works like a charm for getting the fronts loose but the rear are a different story. I was able to slip a small trolley jack against the frame and jack it into the top of the tire using a piece of 2X to protect the tire and wheel from the jack. I left two lug nuts on loosely and with pressure against the top of the wheel I laid underneath the truck and beat the bottom of the tire with a sledge hammer(yes it sounds stupid) and the wheel finally popped off. Whew! OK, driver rear off passenger side left. I get the jack in place and jack the lever and WTF? nothing happens. who woulda know the damn jack doesn't work in that one particular configuration so I wrestle it back out and flip it. Luckily it fits that way on this side just the shock is in the way of the handle........ OK find an extension that fits behind the shock, wrestle the jack back into place and yea, it works. once more under the truck with the sledge and after about ten good swings the SOB pops off. I coated the surface of the hub with neverseize in an attempt to keep this from happening again. The Moral of this long rant? It took me more time to get the wheels off than it did to change all the brake parts out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yup all of above never sieze all my wisco cage wheels studs and mating surfaces. Thin coat, no globs that could get to brake rotors!

Hi guys,
BTDT and used foul language too back when I struggled to get those aluminum rims loose to put on the steel rim winter tires.
These days, what with my advancing age and my wife's employee discount, I have the boys in the shop do the work along with the routine maintenance.

Back