Suggestions Needed for Removing Exhaust

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of tearing the bike apart right now (at least over the next couple weeks) to remove the engine. I'm planning to replace the cam chain and both guides. I'm at the point right now that I've loosened the exhaust at the engine and on both sides at the frame.

How do I get the two halves apart where there is a crossover support under the bike?

I tried shaking the hell out of it yesterday with no success. I just sprayed some break away at the coupling joint in the hopes that it will break up the 30+ years of rust that has accrued there.

I'm up for suggestions if anyone has them.

It's an '83 Heritage Special.

I'm about to pull mine off an 81' special and I think I'll opt for an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Looks too rusty for anything less subtle!

Warm it up with a torch then pour water on it. The rust "pops" off quicker than waiting on penetrating oil.

Thanks weekendrider. I'll have do a little rinsing then try cutting. Sparks may ignite the break away that I've soaked the parts in.

If you can drop the whole exhaust as one piece, then you could twist both sides and work them apart. I don't know if it's possible to drop it in one piece but I'd try that 1st before I resorted to cutting things.

I'm unable to drop it down as one piece. The pipe is still in the head up at the engine.

I think I'll re-secure the right side and work the left side up/down until it becomes free. At least that is my current plan for the next 5 minutes. After that it may get ugly. There could be cursing and fire involved. After that I'll be pleading temporary insanity.

I got it. As 5twins suggested...I was able to get the pipes out of the head and then twist them to get them apart. I'm obviously doing something wrong though since it required no cussing or fire. I even have my sanity still.

I cut my crossover pipe in two, or in two enough to give it enough flex to get it all off the bike. It's very thin, so it took just a couple of minutes with a little dremel tool. When you tug the exhaust off don't let it scrape the case covers...

I loosened the bolt/clamp on the crossover and then used a length of 2x4 and a bfh to whack the right pipe near the crossover from the left side. POP! No problems changing them out since.

Hey guys had a question about where I should cut my exhaust at to add 12" shorties to the headers.. I know you cut behind the mount just below the cases. But there are 2 different diameters there. There's a smaller diameter before where the mufflers weld on and a slightly larger one just after the weld. Looking for advice of where I should cut before I make a mistake. Any info is appreciated. My bike is a 1980 xs650 special

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 142
Back