Super Newb on wiring... Wanting mini speedo and tach.

samoran1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all. Great forum. Does any one know of a step by step transcription on how to wire the mini speedo and tach from mikes xs? I would like to get the turn signal and brake lights all to work with flashing lights. Any information and or pics would be great!! Thanks.

Samoran1
:confused:

Welcome to the board. I don't know anything about the Mike's speedo. I'm sure it cant be too hard to wire in. It came with instructions?
Again Welcome.

What does the wiring for the tach and speedo have to do with your taillights? Just what are you asking?

There are little indicator lights in the speedo that show you when your signals are on. Just like in the stock cluster. Im asking how to wire them properly. Was it that confusing?

Oh.Ok. Now I hear ya. I don't have an answer for you, but the signal indicators should be straight forward 12 volt lamps wired in parallel I assume. There is brake lamp indicator in the speedo/tach?

There is high beam, signal, and neutral but I believe you can wire it so it shows each side signal and brake lamp. I could be wrong but I thought I read it somewhere.

There"s a turn signal light,oil low light, high beam and neutral light.It comes with directions real simple to hook up make sure you solder connections and heat wrap the connections.If you try to use bullet connectors the thin wire just doesn't work so well with them due to vibration et.

If your bike has a signal indicator for each side you will need to use diodes to make it work with just one indicator in the mini speedo I believe. I used the oil pressure light for a charging system failure light, but you could use it as a brake light indicator.

I guess I dont really care if the brake shows as long as there are two different lights for the signals. Does any one know how to change the cable and the timing for new one?

I guess you could use the amber for one signal and the red oil pressure for the other. Find the wires going to the signals in the headlight bucket. They should be dark brown and dark green wires going through the stem of the signal. Those are the positive leads.

The left turn signal positive wire should be dark drown. Connect the red wire to it and connect the red/black to the black ground wire going to the signal.

The right turn signal positive wire should be dark green. Connect the yellow wire to it and connect the yellow/black to the black ground wire going to the signal.

The blue wire would get connected to the yellow hi beam wire going to your headlight and the blue/black the black ground wire at the headlight.

Find one of your backlight bulbs from the original speedo. The positive wire going to these is usually blue. Connect the orange wire to that and connect the black wire to a black ground wire.

Find your old neutral light. There is probably a brown and a light blue wire going to it. Connect the green wire to the brown and the light blue to the green/black

The tach has just two wires for a backlight, a red and black I think. The black is ground and the red can be connected to the same place you have the orange wire connected.

Grinder thanks a lot! That helps a ton. One thing I over looked is what to do with the original key and ignition. If I get a new ignition could I move it to somewhere different relatively easy? What I want is a real clean look with new handle bars and just the speedo for now. Might add the tach later:bike:

You can move the ignition switch wherever you want but it might involve extending the wiring. Alot of guy's including me just did away with the switch and just use a hidden toggle switch for the ignition,but that might not be for you if you don't know alot about wiring.

Back