Swapping wheels and forks

mabeone

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows if spoke rims from other bikes, yamaha or not, will fit on the xs 650 without any or very little (easy, simple) custom fabrication. also the same for forks. I need fork tubes only that will fit into the bottoms of my forks and also fit in the tiple tree. its a 1980 xs but information on all years would be great! i would like to know as many parts possible that can be swapped to this bike.

thanks so much everyone!!! :bike:

I would stick with the yami tubes. As for the wheel you can put any wheel you want on there. It all depends on your skill level.

If the fork tubes are 35 mm in diameter any fork will work, just use the brake caliper and wheel to match for any easy install without a lot of fab.

hmmmm i like the idea of using the forks, caliper and front wheel from another bike. seems like the easiest way to find a set up that im looking for. thanks so much!

now that im thinking about it...if i use my xs 650 triple tree and then use forks and a wheel from a diff bike, couldnt the width of the forks differ from bike to bike therefore not line up with my xs 650 triple making it useless?

possibly if the hub is narrower you canadd spacers, if it's not too much wider you can machine off a bit of the insideof the bottom fork legs. TIy'll need to locate ones that are close in spacing. A lot easier than machining new triple trees or changing steering stems.

If you persue this and find a good match let us know.

Swapping the forks minus the trees, the tubes being 35 mm they should fit in the 650 trees.
If the fork tubes are a different size like 39 mm then you need the trees as well.
If you swap the whole front end using the wheel and brakes that fit the front end is the easiest way.

Back