Swingarm question

Look what I found, 1 outa 2 ain't bad...............

swingarmbush004.jpg

Save that puppy, it's a rare part, lol. Now you can see how the shim fits OVER the pivot tube, not against it.

OK, the only spec I see in the book is for swingarm feeplay which is .040" max. So am I right in assuming that if the pivot rod sticks out .020 or less from the bushings I'll be golden?

made the tool as per Gary, got the bushings out but I don't like the looks of them (they didn't come out easy!). Lookin' at the swingarm now I believe it WAS the paint that was the problem. Gonna sand it down and next week when the new bushings come in we're gonna do it all over again. i'm gettin' to be an expert on some aspects of this deal and I hope my trials and tribulations will help someone else down the road.

I gotta say you guys are the best! I turned wrenches for a living for over 40 years and one thing I've learned is you've NEVER seen it all. This project has been at the same time fun and frustrating for me but havin' the ability to bounce ideas off you guys has been great. Thanks, hope I can return the favor someday.

Yeah, Speed and Sport sells them although they only show 1 in stock. #4 in the pic below. If my swingarm assembly fits tight in the frame with no sideplay do I need them?

swingarm-1.gif

Is it me or does #2 look longer than swingarm.I pull bolt #6 and s/a hit the floor:banghead:

When you put the bushes #3 in the swing arm, the lip on the end adds to the overall length of the swing arm. This makes the swing arm almost as long as the tube #2. The tube #2 has to be just a bit longer than the swing arm so the tube #2 gets locked into the frame and the swing arm and bushes pivot around the tube #2.
Leo

Just ran across this thread again and realized I never got back to it once I solved the problem. I found that the powdercoat was part of the problem, so were the bushings I originally got. The outer flange was thicker than stock. The part in the micrometer is what I'm talking about. The one on the bottom is the thinner of the two. Bout a half a mm difference. Not much but in my case it made a difference. Removing the powdercoat and using the right bushings it worked perfect. The correct bushings came from Mike'sXS.

bushing006.jpg

bushing007.jpg

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes. when I put the tube into the bushing it feels sloppy to me, the bushing is not yet installed in the swing arm. By sloppy I mean I can move the tube back and forth a little inside the bushing. Will this be OK? will it snug up a little when their installed.

Thanks

It's hard to say but I think yours looks pretty much shot. Even if the diameter wasn't worn too small, all that pitting is probably going to act like a piece of sandpaper against the inside of your bushings as the swingarm rotates.

Back