Switching cam chain tensioner to another type

pythonregius24

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is switching cam chain tensioner to another type possible? I have the Type C but missing the cap. I looked everywhere but no luck. So Im thinking just switch it to another type.
TensionerID.jpg

Yes you can switch but you'll want a complete unit (housing and all adjuster parts). I would recommend getting the last version, the E type. That will give you the lock nut on the adjuster screw and also uses the later improved rubber/metal damper washer. Another bonus to the D and E types is that the sealing o-ring is readily available. There is an American size that fits perfectly - 13/16" I.D. x 1" O.D. x 3/32" thick. You can get a giant bag full from McMaster Carr for a few dollars.

Yes you can switch but you'll want a complete unit (housing and all adjuster parts). I would recommend getting the last version, the E type. That will give you the lock nut on the adjuster screw and also uses the later improved rubber/metal damper washer. Another bonus to the D and E types is that the sealing o-ring is readily available. There is an American size that fits perfectly - 13/16" I.D. x 1" O.D. x 3/32" thick. You can get a giant bag full from McMaster Carr for a few dollars.

Thank 5twins! I guess Ill be on the market for the type E now.

Back