Tach reacting very slow after 32 years

dmgmn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After 32 years of sitting in my fathers garage I was able to e to get the bike running with minimal effort. But the tach isn't working correctly. It is very slow to react. I've already replace the cable but it didn't change anything.

Anybody have any suggestions? Will this going away once I start riding it?

Thanks,

Dennis

Most likely; Yes put on 500 miles report back.
You will have other wake up issues.

You MUST do a head bolt re-torque sooner is better than later.......

An old guy's heads up; minimal effort will NOT = reliable. been there, pushed that home.

Typical is the fuel system repeatedly clogging up fine jets holes and passages in the carbs, ethanol is a great solvent it's going to dissolve all that old varnish and dump it into the bottom of the float bowls where BS38 main jets live.

We want to see pics too!

I have a bunch of old ones and always trying to get them t work right. Try turning it upside down, squirt a bunch of cable lube in the hole, and leave it for a day or two. This worked for me at least once.

The minimal effort was to see whether I could get it running. Whether was going to keep it or sell it as is. I did clean the tank and add fuel filters before starting it. Now I will put much more effort into it for spring.

I have an album up if you follow my user name.

Thanks for the help!

Ooh!

full

I wanna see a new pic!

Sorry, I haven't had much time to work on it this weekend but this is the latest pic (I'm sure you already saw it). I've done some cleaning and I've removed the fairing and sissybar. My dad found the headlight ring but I haven't put it back together yet.

full

Back