Take side roads bike runs great take freeway bike dies and won't start again?

Fuel good fresh gas fresh filter cleaned carbs
Voltage good new sealed battery
Heat related possibility? I'm thinking the coil is bad or going bad do to high heat is there a way to confirm this would riding around town not make the coil get so hot it works then when I take the freeway it gets so hot it dosent work?

Looked at some of your past threads, thinking should check a coupla things immediately after hiway ride.

Plugs: If black, may be too rich for extended hi-speed. White, the opposite, gets too hot, fuel restriction?

Gorilla grip the coil: Hot?

Vibration/ignition/PMA - Hiway vibration screwing with electrics?

If you can replicate problem take a can of 2+2 with you and see if it needs fuel to get running as a quick and easy diagnostic tool..... checking for spark on side of road if difficult.....not impossible. Pop the air filter and spray .... see if she fires....

Went in the garage today she fired right up idles great give it gas no cut out. Looked at plugs they look to be pretty good not to dark and not too light so what ever it is I'm believing its gotta be heat related or something vibrating on the freeway I just can't narrow this thing down I'm thinking its the coil but I don't wanna just buy a new one if I don't have to

Even though it runs I did pamco Pete's coil test and a got

Test 1 1.4 ohm
Test 2 infinite
Test 3 infinite
Test 4 infinite
Test 5 ? The longer I hold it the higher it goes up

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your tests are. Can you list the tests?
If your test 1 is primary side ohms, that's a bit low. The Pamco is designed to run a 2.5 to 4.5 ohm primary coil. The others I have no reference for.
I might suggest going over the wiring. Any loose connections way vibrate at high way speeds and give interrupted power flow.
Leo

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Yes xsleo I believe it's low too but it is running would a faulty coil still cause a bike to run?

Downer,

Test #1 indicates a partially shorted coil. To verify, use another meter or go to Radio Shack and buy some low resistance resistors, like, 5 Ohm to check the calibration of your meter. Change the batteries in the meter as well. If after all of that you are still reading 1.4 Ohms, or anything less than 2.5 Ohms, the coil is toast.

Partially shorted coils can work fine when cold but fail when they get hotter, which is what you are experiencing.

The lower the ohms, the higher the current.
To determine the amps just divide the voltage by the ohms. As in 14.5 volts divided by 2.5 ohms = 5.8 amps. Or 14.5 divided by 4.5 = 3.2 amps. 14.5 divided by 1.5 =9.6 amps.
Leo

Wouldn't that also stress the Pamco unit, or is it current-protected?

The transistor in the PAMCO is rated for 14 Amps continuous current at 110C (230F). It is only on for 60/360 = 16% X 2 = 33% of the time so the effective or average current in this particular case would be 14.5/1.5 = 9.66 X .33 = 3.19 Amps. However, we do not know what exactly happens when the coil heats up. The resistance would of course increase and the current would decrease, but it is possible that some other anomaly occurs, such as a direct short, when the coil heats up as there is actual physical movement of the windings due to thermal expansion.

Ok I'll check with another tester next question what can I do to keep from shorting again? Is this a possibility? The coil is only about a year old should I invest in the ultimate output coil? Or just buy the one I have now

I might suggest shopping Ebay and find a 2.5 to 4.5 ohm primary Accel coil. Should be able to find them not to costly. Harley has been using them for years. You might find a stock Harley coil that has the right primary ohms.
Leo

The transistor in the PAMCO is rated for 14 Amps continuous current at 110C (230F). It is only on for 60/360 = 16% X 2 = 33% of the time so the effective or average current in this particular case would be 14.5/1.5 = 9.66 X .33 = 3.19 Amps. However, we do not know what exactly happens when the coil heats up. The resistance would of course increase and the current would decrease, but it is possible that some other anomaly occurs, such as a direct short, when the coil heats up as there is actual physical movement of the windings due to thermal expansion.

14 amps continuous! That is a seriously robust transistor!

I recall some old-school issues with overheated coils (why some chose oil-filled units). Seems that the iron core (or stackpole, if used) would have reduced magnetism when hot, less magnetic flux, reduced secondary voltage from weakened field collapse. But, it would have to get quite hot, like up to 400°F. Figured the newer designs overcame that...

Back