Talk me out of selling my bike

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I really like my 650 it is a blast around town. Unfortunately I took it on a 90 mile trip this weekend to visit a relative.

The freeway wasn't bad for the first 30 miles are so but then the vibrations and annoyances started to catch up with me. I was pretty tired when I reached my destination.

I was planning on making the gears taller and doing some other upgrades but friends and family have advised me to sell the bike and get something a bit larger.

Any thoughts?

Well the advice came from my Grandfather who has been riding and racing bike since the 1930s. I respect his opinion immensely.

Every bike has it's place but I feel droning along the interstate is not the 650's. You're right, it's a wonderful local, around town ride but out on the highway, not so much.

Gearing it up will help but going too high will hurt the around town fun factor. You'll lose some of that nice snap in the lower gears. I've tried both a 32 and 33 rear and have settled on the 33. The 32 was OK but I did notice some performance loss in the lower gears.

I've also added 6" solid bar inserts to the ends of my handlebars and switched to nice fat Sunline Grand Touring grips. Both help a bit with the vibes.

GrandTouringGrips.jpg

Well I guess your grandfather is right in that you didn't enjoy your 90 mile trip. I say you either modify it to handle to the longer trips better, or keep it for the shorter trips and buy a 2nd bike for the long rides.

I was questioning this same thing after my 500 mile trip. In the end I've decided to find an old 750 or something to build for the highway and keep the 650 for around town.

That's been my take on the XS for a long time. It's a local or back road bike. Vibration, a bit small, not really comfortable. It's not the ideal long haul machine. Did a 2500 mile trip on an early XS but both the bike and I are about 35 years older now. I did a 5,000 mile trip on a single cam Honda 750 with a Vetter fairing and luggage and that was not half bad. Trying to get to a Lake Superior circle tour later this summer and I'm thinking my Shadow ACE 1100 will be pretty decent for 1,500 miles.

Relax, get some time in the saddle, tune things in a bit while you decide what kind of course and riding you really want a bike for.....as a function of your own experience and desire. Sounds like most of your recent discomfort could be better associated with anxiety, tension and inexperience than a 90 mile "trip" or the bike and performance.

On the other hand Touring and 500 mile days stacked on end are not the XS 650's forte. Horses for Courses will still be a rule for maximizing the enjoyment of motorcycling. As will be what one might say to anyone who asks: "Who do you expect to please with that"? The only good answer is ME. Best, Blue :thumbsup:

the highway sucks anyway. gotta watch the cars around you, watch the shitty pavement for bumps.. back roads are fun, there's more to look at, dont have to worry about hitting a bump at 65mph..

I run 17/30 gearing no acceleration issues and Renthal heavy wall aluminum superbike high handle bar, bar weights and cramp buster no vibration felt on the highway other than a little buzz in the seat. Which kind of feels good.

if i could get my bike running for longer than 10 mile intervals i wouldn't sell it. but i can't so fuck it.

They're uncomfortable, flawed machines to be sure. But I wanted the oldest, simplest bike I could find that was cheap and would do freeway speeds, and this is it.

I have my 650 pretty well dialed in and it's no buzzier at hi-way speeds than my '03 Harley Super Glide Sport. The Harley has the rubber mounted engine and I feel about the same vibration with both bikes. The 650 has a higher frequency vibration than the Harley. The intensity is the same.
The Harley is better for hi-way cruising because of the weight and handles the higher speeds easier.
I do ride the 650 more.

They're uncomfortable, flawed machines to be sure. But I wanted the oldest, simplest bike I could find that was cheap and would do freeway speeds, and this is it.

Yep.
My stock Special didn't impress me much when I first acquired it though it fit the bill exactly as you've described. I had to make some adjustments for fit and function, lowered the rear and the seat, changed out the gearing and compression, work on the charging system etc. ad nauseum.....BUT, damn, it's a blast to ride! Hills and hollers, tight turns and long straight stretches of highway.
With a manual in hand, basic tools, some testing equiptment, after market parts availability and the support of a network like this what other antique bike could you keep running with relative ease?
Wife asked me last nite what I'd do if I didn't have the computer and bike to play with....." Play with myself, I guess." HA!!

I'd like to add ergonomics is everything. The right handlebars, position, seat pad, all make a big difference. You did not mention, but a windshield sure helps for long distance. That is probably the biggest change you can make. With no windshield and the pull back special bars, an uncomfortable "slump" riding position is near inevitable. As an old guy and even when younger a back rest really makes the difference on long rides. I sold a 650 with a backrest that slid all the way up to support the riders back. Should have kept that.

Yep, they need to be comfortable. I took the buckhorn bars off a nice special I bought a couple of weeks ago.Replaced them with some solid aluminum MX bars I've had for 35 years. It makes it into a different bike. I went for a long ride with the wife yesterday and it felt just like a friend's Bonneville Scrambler. I've never had a completely stock xs-I may leave it for a while as I have four or five more to work on.

To the original poster, it doesn't sound like the xs is the bike for you. Maybe something more modern. I LOVE my ZRX Kawasaki, too-no need to tinker, and fast and smooth.

John

My '81 Special has been a great around town bike and works fine for quick jaunts on the freeway. But any longer than about 40 minutes in the stock saddle and my butt starts to get sore. I've ridden it occasionally on 200-mile round-trippers and that's about as far as I'd want to take it.

I too recommend you keep your XS and think about getting a bike more suitable for longer distance rides. You can pick up an XS1100 for reasonable -- sometimes for the same price as an XS650 or close to it, and that bike will certainly handle the Interstates a lot better. There's also quite a bit of internet presence regarding those old machines, too.

Me, I went the BMW route. I bought a '76 R90/6 that needed work, so got it for cheap -- cheap at least for an old Beemer airhead. Put a few days worth of wrenching and a few hundred bucks worth of parts into it, and wound up with a reliable road machine that I have no doubts would make it coast to coast. It's happy at 80 to 85 mph and will run there all day long with a minimum of vibration. The seat is also much more comfortable than the XS's. I can handle it from fill-up to fill-up (about 160 miles usually), which gives me the chance to stretch my legs and back and get some circulation back into my butt before I set off again. My old R90 has a set of Krauser hard bags too, which come in very handy. Never thought I'd ride a bagger before I bought that bike, and now I wonder what I'd do without them.

Still, if you can afford to, I'd say keep the XS. Of all the bikes I own, I get more smiles per mile with it than any other.

Or if you just want to ride
This was on the Milwaukee Craigslist today. Hard to beat a ready to ride bike for both town and road for so little money.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1853010889.html
IMG_5432left.jpg

2000 HONDA SHADOW ACE with only 6k miles !! - $2690 (Milwaukee Southwest right off I 43)
Date: 2010-07-20, 10:23AM CDT
2000 HONDA SHADOW 750 ACE with only 6k miles!!
All Stock as new
Runs Great
Tires are like New

Back