Talk me out of selling my bike

You should play around with the gearing try the 17/32 and you don't have to change the chain as the standard size chain will fit that gearing. I am not advocating it as a permanent solution as the chain and sprockets should be changed at the same time. Just buy the rear sprocket or get a VG second hand one to try, Do one thing at a time then try another, sprockets first then maybe retarding the advance. A well timed and tuned bike will often have less vibration and as previously mentioned good grips and some weights in the bars, although the last 2 things wont help the highway speeds.

Last edited:
Can any of you recommend specific bar end weights-- which ones you liked and which ones you didn't like.

I'm thinking of making my own-- from lead. Any thoughts?

Yep, they need to be comfortable. I took the buckhorn bars off a nice special I bought a couple of weeks ago.Replaced them with some solid aluminum MX bars I've had for 35 years. It makes it into a different bike. I went for a long ride with the wife yesterday and it felt just like a friend's Bonneville Scrambler. I've never had a completely stock xs-I may leave it for a while as I have four or five more to work on.

To the original poster, it doesn't sound like the xs is the bike for you. Maybe something more modern. I LOVE my ZRX Kawasaki, too-no need to tinker, and fast and smooth.

John

+1000000000000000

I took the buckhorns off of my bike, threw on some euro bars from JC whitney, and changed the tires and it feels like a brand new bike. I was and am so shocked at the change in quality of the ride. I feel like if you give up on the XS, you'll regret it down the line. Give it a chance. Unless you are certain on getting something else that just calls to you.

I am going through the same thing. I want a new bike, a middle weight. I have two 650's a FJ1200 and a Venture. I'm thinking of selling the FJ and the '81 H to make room and get down to three bikes, the Venture the 1980 SG and "the new bike". A more manageable number for a one car garage. A guy was interested in the FJ so I gave him my number. I was riding up the road and thought," Oh shit what do I do if he calls?". I just could not sell the FJ, nor as it turns out the blue 650. I decided, if he calls, to tell him my girlfriend won't let me sell it.
I run the 17-32, bar snake and Manic Salamander bar end weights, and I stay off the highway with everything except the Venture. It was made for the highway.
Good luck and get a second bike for the highway.
Whynot2

As mentioned proper tuning and carb sync go along way to reducing vibes.
Different handle bars help.
Using Dyna Beads for wheel balance smoothes things out.
Different grips.
!7/32 or 17/30 gears.
I have had several people say my bike is the smoothest XS650 they have seen. One guy could hardly belive it was running. Quiet and smooth.
Try a few things, it can be smoother.
Leo

Back