tapered roller steering head bearings

Yes, the MikesXS bearing kit doesn't come with seals. There is a rubber ring seal stock on the bottom so probably nothing got in. But, it doesn't seal the grease in really well. I have a grease nipple on my steering neck and the steering head is pumped full of grease. All that grease is constantly oozing out the bottom on my '78 with the MikesXS bearings (and no extra seal). On my '83, I have the All Balls kit with the added grease seal. Only a very small amount of grease has come out of that one so far so the added grease seal seems to help keep it in better. It's a gravity thing, all the grease inside the steering head just naturally works it's way down. That's why there's no need for the seal on the top, the grease doesn't migrate up. Just that large tin cover from the factory for the top bearing is enough to protect it.

I’ll add that if you never service the bearings, you’ll find the top one dry as a popcorn fart.

Got the front end all back together and let me tell ya, it feels like a new bike. Now, I can easily ride with no hands. My next fix will be the swingarm.

Hey, I know I shouldn't ask here, but my 72 swingarm bolt and sleeves are different from the 447's, but do the newer bolts and sleeves fit on my bike?

Hey, I know I shouldn't ask here, but my 72 swingarm bolt and sleeves are different from the 447's, but do the newer bolts and sleeves fit on my bike?
I think they are all the same. If not I have wrong parts in my bike.

The early ones used multiple pieces,
MjIzODI1Ng-0c8ae143.png

the later used a single sleeve. Jet mech corrected me and the pivot bolt part # is different after 73. I THINK GLJ is right, the late one piece are drop in replacements at least if they are machined to correct size....

MjE4Mjk1OQ-18bfad3d.png

Last edited:
Back