Tappet rattle which isn't

Dustproof

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had a rattle which is like tappet clatter, I adjusted the valves and all seemed good. The adjustment didn't fix the rattle, when the engine is cold or it has been standing for a hour or so, it has this rattle like tappet lash. After starting the engine and once the oil reaches the top end, the rattle is gone completely. Could this be something to do with the rocker shafts? I am sorta lost with this one and hope someone else has an answer, the bike has only 12,000 miles on it.

Another thing I would like to ask, is there a oil pressure switch? My dash has a red light that says oil but comes on when the brakes are applied. I had a look around and can't find an Oil Pressure Switch or wiring.:wtf:

Thanks guys
Noel

You can adjust the tappet clearance but if the adjusters are pitted the clearance will still be excessive. Screw a couple all the way out and see what they look like. I use vw beetle tappets as a replacement, any year from the 50s through the 70s. Advance will say they don't carry them but they do. Force them to look it up on their screen. A little bit of that racket is normal. But you might not know how much yet. Also if your oil is thinner than 20w50 in summer they may be louder.

Could be cam chain rattling around. Worn off guide, or plastic bits have separated from it.

I vote for cam chain rattle when cold no worries I think that is the perfect adjustment rattles a bit till it warms up. I will guess your bike was in an accident somewhere in it's past, the idiot light cluster from an XS750/1100 is an exact fit but has an oil pressure light instead of the brake warning light, how many MPH does your speedo read? Some of those bikes had 140MPH speedos.

I agree with Gary, its likely your camchain adjustment. My engine, when started cold, will rattle from the camchain, for about 20 or 25 seconds, and then goes quiet. I think that is a good adjustment.

If the camchain rattles for a long time then try tightening the camchain adjustment.

Maybe check that the "damper" is in place on the camchain adjuster.

I adjusted the cam chain which was a little loose but the rattle goes away as soon as the oil hits the top end ... Say around 30 seconds or so. If the oil level is low it takes a bit longer. The bike runs very well except for the clutch drag thing, it is pretty hard to find issue with it. It's just this rattle/tapped noise. This is why I was wondering if it could be rocker shafts.

Cam chain is favourite, Dustproof - and welcome to the forum - but only 12000 miles might not have a great deal to do with it, unless you were that careful owner since new.

It can be difficult to describe sounds, so how about a video of the engine running and moving in so we could hear the type of thing you're talking about?

Anlaf

Mine does the same thing. Had a few guys check it out, all is normal for these old school engines.

Xjwmx mentions VW lash screws in Entry 2 above. Is this the VW lash/tappet adjuster screw that fits the XS? The 8mm VW part number is 043-109-451/R.

See Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEETLE-EX...692985?hash=item5404515939:g:MWYAAOSwyQtV1NbB

Description:
Valve adjusting screw and nut for all 1200cc-1600cc aircooled engines. 8 required per engine. Each

Quality:
Reproduction

For vehicles:
T1 / Beetle 50-79
Karmann Ghia 56-74
T2 / Splitscreen 50-67
T2 / Baywindow 68-79 -1600cc
Type 3 62-73

s-l500.jpg

Description:
Valve adjusting screw and nut for all 1200cc-1600cc aircooled engines. 8 required per engine. Each

Quality:
Reproduction

For vehicles:
T1 / Beetle 50-79
Karmann Ghia 56-74
T2 / Splitscreen 50-67
T2 / Baywindow 68-79 -1600cc
Type 3 62-73

Thank you for any feedback.

Thank you very much - the price is reasonable for the UK.
I see you're in Cardiff. All my elementary school reading comprehension tests mentioned the Cardiff Giant. Is that still a thing? Is it there for tourists to see?

One VW repair shop I talked to said the originals are better than the repros. So if you can find somebody parting out a VW motor you can get gold I suppose. I have two repro VWs and they're holding up fine along with two original Yamahas. Valve stems are fine too, thankfully. Close to 75 K miles now.

Thank you for the info regarding originals. Regarding the "Cardiff Giant", I have never heard of it but a quick search of Wikipedia gave the answer. There is a Cardiff in New York State and also one in Australia. A bit like Paris France and Paris Texas - Not sure which is the more romantic??

Thank you.

Just brilliant doing the VW tappet cross-reference thing, Paul. Thanks for the info! I adjusted a ton of those things in the 1970's in my beetles, Karmann Ghias and a 60's bus.

The Cardiff Giant of New York State was dug up just a few miles from my home; I ride by the spot regularly. Then they eventually moved it to Cooperstown, NY, for museum purposes.

Here's a pic of one of my Ghias that I bought as a rust bucket. Lowered, sculpted, painted Porsche Guard Red:

GHIA_0002.jpg

The Cardiff Giant of New York State was dug up just a few miles from my home; I ride by the spot regularly. Then they eventually moved it to Cooperstown, NY, for museum purposes.

Well that almost makes us neighbors! Elbridge here! I remember going on a class trip to Cooperstown back in probably Grade School and got to see that guy!

Just brilliant doing the VW tappet cross-reference thing, Paul. Thanks for the info! I adjusted a ton of those things in the 1970's in my beetles, Karmann Ghias and a 60's bus.

Here's a pic of one of my Ghias that I bought as a rust bucket. Lowered, sculpted, painted Porsche Guard Red:

View attachment 98207

Very nice krauty, as we say here, they are worth a fortune here in AU. Cardiff here is a shithole....

Very nice krauty, as we say here, they are worth a fortune here in AU. Cardiff here is a shithole....

Thanks for the compliment.
This is the first time I've heard the term, "krauty", but it certainly does fit the object, with VW's being originated by Hitler. After a VERY long-term involvement with bugs and Ghias due to their superb simplicity and ease of hi-performance modding, I finally got uncomfy with the Third Reich history and moved on to early Mazda RX-7's, another quirky (Wankel) beast.

Back