Tapping a Carburetor float bowl Thread size anyone?

I don't think a prayer is going to work in my case unfortunately. All the threads came out with the screw. I wonder if you have to make the hole in the bowl bigger to accept the 8-36 screw?

It's just barely larger, so you can opt for the helicoil later. I don't recall having to drill out the bowl hole, I think it just barely slipped in there.

Let the screw cut its own threads, use a litle pressure to ensure it goes in, and if you slowly reverse the screw before starting, you can feel the screw drop into engagement with what remains of the old threads, then you start it in.

Careful, this is really a band-aid...

I suspect that the slightly larger screw will cut its own thread but it depends on how badly the hole has been damaged.

If it were me I'd probably try a few screws in the hole until I found one near enough that required slight force to screw it in then apply some locktite and make the screw cut a thread. It really doesn't have to be screwed up with enormous force just fingertip tight

In the unlikely event you have to take the bowl off again then you will probably have to bite the bullet and take the body to an engineer to helicoil it.You could do it yourself but there is a risk of ruining the body for a few $ Why not get a quote from your local Engineer for doing all 4x threads on the body its got to be a lot cheaper than a new body.

EDIT
ha ha Twomany got there first :D:wink2:

...If it were me I'd probably try a few screws in the hole until I found one near enough that required slight force to screw it in then apply some locktite and make the screw cut a thread. It really doesn't have to be screwed up with enormous force just fingertip tight.

Excellent point, peanut. Not all screws are the same, some undersized with flat thread peaks and rough threads, others at full diameter. If you have a mic or good caliper, hand select the largest diameter #8 with full/sharp threads. The diameter difference between 4mm and #8 is just over 0.006", enough to provide grip, but every little bit helps.

ha ha Twomany got there first :D:wink2:

(*gasp*) Just barely. Still winded here...

...how are you twomany keeping busy ? . :thumbsup: Not to busy to ride though I hope.

(Thread hijack warning!)

Busy? Gads, joined another machinist forum. Getting forum overload/fatigue. Noticed that XSleo and gggGary are approaching 10,000 posts. Don't see how they can do it.

Got another goofy experiment idea, testing it gives me an excellent excuse to ride...

Back