TC Bros Hardtail axle spacing

I have no idea my tcbros hardtail comes on thursday I'm a little disappointed to hear this but for the price i just cant go wrong. Since its a larger gap has anyone had success fitting other wheels on the rear end without having to make custom parts to get chain alignment correct?
I'm curious because I want to add a wider wheel/tire what have you guys been able to fit?

If TC bros know of the problem , why don't they use a heavier axle plate?

because any thicker of an axle plate and you wouldnt be able to slip the adjuster on. its already a tight fit as it is. i spoke to a guy from TC bros recently over the phone and he told me that they make their hardtails with all that extra play because not all year XS650s are the same. so by making their hardtails to the "rough" measurements, they can be adapted to all different XS650s.

because any thicker of an axle plate and you wouldnt be able to slip the adjuster on. its already a tight fit as it is. ....

So the axle plates for the earlier swingarms are thinner? All the later ones I have in my garage measure about .60" thick.

I think the early model may have been thinner. They had a loop style axle plate. I think 73 and older. In 74 they made the axle plate open on the end and a filler piece bolted in the end.
This might be why the early axles where a bit shorter.
Perhaps someone with a pre 74 bike can measure their axle plates and let us know.

Im having the complete opposite problems, my stock spacers seem to be to much to fit in my TC bros hard tail. If someone could let me know if Im doing something wrong or should i pry the shit out of it to try and make it fit? thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 292
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 325
Im having the complete opposite problems, my stock spacers seem to be to much to fit in my TC bros hard tail. If someone could let me know if Im doing something wrong or should i pry the shit out of it to try and make it fit? thanks

Did you have a block between the axle plates when you welded it on? Its looks like its severely pulled in. At this point you could try a porta power and see if it will come out enough. Very common for them to pull in but that does look like a lot.

As swbill said, if your axle plates are less than 8 1/4 inches you welded it wrong. I might try blocking the axle plates out to 8 1/4 inches and using a rosebud tip on a torch to heat the frame rails enough to releave the stresses caused by blocking.
This should get the axle plates far enough apart to be usable.
Leo

Hi I know this is an old thread but I am having a similar problem my axle is to long is it safe to use washers:confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 203
What is the distance between the axle plates? How much space do you need to take up? Do you have all of the proper spacers for that wheel in place between the axle plates? The adjusters will take up some of that space.

Travis the space between the axle plates is 7 11/16 on the inside and 8 3/4 on the out side the wheel and caliper fits tight I actually had to use a pry bar with slight pressure to squeeze them in and the wheel rolls good but there is 3/4" of axle sticking out plus threads.see pic above. thank you for any advice.

Frankenbob, XSLeo says both drum brake and a disc brake swingarms measure 8-1/4" between the axle plates. It sounds like your axle plates pulled in over 1/4" on each side with the final welding of the cross members on the hardtail. Can you tell if they are pulled/bent in starting after the cross members? If so, you'll need to pull each side out to get back the 8-1/4" spacing. If you can hold the axle plates to the proper width using a jig or some kind of spacer, you could use a torch to heat the tubes after the weld for the cross members and let them air cool to normalize the steel again. If you use the stock adjusters, that should take up the rest of the space between the axle plates. You'll need to use washers for the small gaps between the outside of the axle plates and the axle adjusters. I sell some spacer plates that people are using on the TC Bros hardtails to fill that gap if you're interested. See post 15 of this thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6077

Wait... I just measured a drum swingarm I have and it measures 8-1/2" between the insides of the plates... And come to think of it, when I make spacers for the frame jig axle plate fixture, I make them for 8-1/2" of spacing for XS650s. Either way, your axle plates are way too close together.

Thanks the frame was jigged well when the hardtail was put on it had to be when I welded the cross members the engine bolts up good i tested it with a empty motor ( just case's jugs and head hallow but it bolted up easy didn't know to block the axle plates so I'll try to block and heat frame tubes and let you know how it goes it will be a week or two before i get the engine in to test sprocket alignment thank you again for all the info when i get that far i will pm you for the spacer's.

Well I had a little break at work so i cut a 4x4 block 8 1/4" long and drove it between the axle plate's then heated the frame tubes for a minute let cool down and removed block the came out to 8" even now so i"ll try again at lunch maybe with a 8 1/2" block

Ok so earlier 8 1/4" block got me to 8" so at lunch I tried 8 1/2" block letting it cool over night I hope that will get atleast 8 1/4" I just hope I don't have to get a new hardtail and try again on my other frame I wanted to do something else with that like maybe restore or street tracker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 182
Back