TC Bros Hardtail Help

Yeah working on it now. Think I got it , just removed 1 washer and it lined up better lmao. Checked the right side adjuster and the bolt is bent pretty bad . Was going to remove it and noticed the end of the threads are chewed up bad..idk what previous owner did to them lol.

Thanks for everything. Bike should be rideable in another week finally, just need to figure out the throttle cable.

The stock XS adjusters I believe are 12mm wide, the axle plate on the TC hardtail is 3/8ths [9.5mm] wide...

The simple solution is to get a set from another bike at your local wrecker that are 10mm wide, and add washers to either side to get the castle nut to line up with the cotter pin hole...

Ok, The stock axle plates are about 3/8 inch thick. Most hard tails use 1/4 inch thick axle plates.
Shimming the adjusters with washers is one way. If I was building a Hard tail I would request the hard tail builder use 3/8 inch axle plates or I would cut a shim out of 1/8 steel to match the shape of the axle plate then weld it to the inside of the axle plates. This way the adjusters fit the way they should.
Leo

Ok, The stock axle plates are about 3/8 inch thick. Most hard tails use 1/4 inch thick axle plates.
Shimming the adjusters with washers is one way. If I was building a Hard tail I would request the hard tail builder use 3/8 inch axle plates or I would cut a shim out of 1/8 steel to match the shape of the axle plate then weld it to the inside of the axle plates. This way the adjusters fit the way they should.
Leo

the TC Bros is 3/8" thick, and I believe the stock plates are 12mm thick... at least on my 78 that was the case...

I just realized I wasn't quite correct on what I said. The 70-73 bikes used the 1/4 inch axle plates, the 74 up used the thicker plates. This is why most builders use the 1/4 plates. That way you can use the early rear wheels.
12 mm is just a hair under 3/8 inch and I said about 3/8 inch. I say 1/4 some may call it 6mm.
Maybe some builders use the thicker plates but from what most on here say they get the thinner plates.
Me, I don't think I would ever do that to a bike. The only bikes that should have hard tails are ones that came that way, as in the very old bikes.
Leo

I just realized I wasn't quite correct on what I said. The 70-73 bikes used the 1/4 inch axle plates, the 74 up used the thicker plates. This is why most builders use the 1/4 plates. That way you can use the early rear wheels.
12 mm is just a hair under 3/8 inch and I said about 3/8 inch. I say 1/4 some may call it 6mm.
Maybe some builders use the thicker plates but from what most on here say they get the thinner plates.
Me, I don't think I would ever do that to a bike. The only bikes that should have hard tails are ones that came that way, as in the very old bikes.
Leo

I think that your math might be a little off as 3/8" is 9.525mm, and this is why, at least in my case, that the 12mm wide adjusters wont line up that well...

:cheers:

For reference, here's the sideplate of my 1971 XS1B. Looks to be 8mm thick.

Attachments

• 71XS1B-SidePlate.jpg
    71XS1B-SidePlate.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 176
The stock axle plates on this late model swingarm are .58" (14.73mm) wide. All of the late ones I've seen are like this. In my experience most hardtails have 3/8" axle plates and that's why I sell 3/16" spacer plates to make the axle plates .5625" (14.29mm) wide total. The .44mm isn't significant enough to make a difference.

Attachments

• 2016-01-20 20.52.04.jpg
    2016-01-20 20.52.04.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 175
Hi guys I apologize and stand corrected, I can confirm that late model adjusters are as Travis suggests 14.7mm wide or there abouts...

Here is the later model stock XS adjuster next to a 10mm wide adjuster (from an unknown bike) on a TC Bros hardtail...

IMG_20160120_191009573.jpg

:cheers: and sorry for the confusion...

Back