Tc bros PMA help needed

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm helping a buddy that bought an xs650 "project" and I'm stumped. It has points, Tc bros PMA, reg/rec unit and a capacitor. Main concern right now is to make sure the motor runs before a complete tear down. I wired the ignition system, battery, coils, condensers, new points gapped. The PMA is already installed but there are no timing marks or anything. What steps do I need to take to get the static timing right and get it close enough to run? Compression is good. Cam chain tension looks good and valves good. I got it to cough but that is all so far. Any help is appreciated! Maybe someone has some tips from experience or Hughes?

I know. I sifted through a bunch so far and I knew I was going to get the "lots of threads on that" response. Was hoping someone would post a link to one of those threads that was helpful. Not looking for someone to retype stuff that is already here, just couldn't find one good thread that had good info without six pages of irrelevant comments. Lol
Thanks though twomany I will keep searching in the meantime.

Okay twomany, tried pma timing in the search and all I got was this thread. Lol
I should add that I am on my phone with the tapatalk app. Will switch to my tablet. Lol

...tried pma timing in the search and all I got was this thread. Lol...

Huh!!??!!?? I just tried that and got 1,080 hits! Maybe it's a tapatalk thing.

Yeah, I understand about the 'irrevelant comments', but they add to the character, gives it that 'among friends' feel. Besides, I've found that only a few threads will have an exhaustive, all-inclusive description/solution of an issue. Many members chime-in, adding to the knowledge base, expanding the understanding. That'll make a guru outta you fer sure...

yeah its gotta be a tapatalk thing. I have read a lot of threads now, mostly a waste of time for answering this particular question, but I have learned a few things and other things are coming back. lol
I see that some say to set the timing before the swap, the swap is already done and I did not do it so that is not an option. I also read hughes blog and it says to set at TDC, I am guessing right side, and make a new timing mark. then move the points plate using a light or buzz box until and i should be pretty close or close enough that it should do something, right? I do not want to make any marks before knowing that it is correct.

I don't know about TC Bro's PMA but Hugh's has a sticker for the timing marks. It sticks on the half moon shaped area at the lower edge of the hole the alternator cover mounts to. The round cover that says Yamaha on it.
Use what ever method you like to find TDC. Now make a mark on the rotor that lines up with the TDC mark on the sticker.
Now use the fire mark to time the ignition.
Have you tried contacting TC Bro's for there advice?
Leo

thanks Leo, no not yet. I figured I would be able to find the info here if I posted a question and read all of the other stuff in the meantime. lots of good stuff as I did all of this on my bike almost a year ago and it is amazing what you lose when you dont think about it. lol

it doesnt matter which cylinder you use, just make sure it is TDC on the compression stroke and make your marks. I think I used a pencil sticking into the spark plug hole to see when the cylinder was at the exact top of the stroke.

If you think you are close and get no fire try swapping the points leads, real easy to get the wrong cylinder firing.

Back