tc bros wiring kit

i got the wiring kit from tc bros for mine have not had a chane to hook it up and run the bike but did mock it up. looks good ill try and post instructions tomorrow. still working on the damn (pretty shock looking spring) holder i got from la rosa for the seat

xswire2.jpg

It's the easiest part of the project for me. I have honestly thought of mass producing chopper harnesses. But it's difficult as locations for things like voltage regualtor/rectifier/coils change from bike to bike. Might do a dumbed down stocker though. It's awesome knowing that nothing is sketchy on the bike electrically though.

I have always enjoyed doing electrical work. Clean and light weight. I get to use my mind (whats left) instead of my back. I broke down and bought a supply of various connectors from vintageconnectors.com and made up a kit. with the male and female bullets, some 2 way a dn 3 way females (easy now) and the matching sleeves you can wire any bike. It just takes some time and pre thought. Go for the crimper too. If not you will spend way too much time trying to do the proper dual crimp needed and it will still suck. Once the crimper is mastered you can fly through the job. The best thing about this is you can break down the wiring to change out parts or as I did, tear the bike down to bare frame for paint and pop back the same harness with little effort.

I wish i were close to some of you who fear or choose not to attack the wiring. i would gladly trade off jobs like, wet sanding and polishing aluminum or grinding useless parts off the frame. Those are my least favorite ways to spend my time during a build.

I purchased a 6pin CDI wiring harness from TC Bros for my 1980 xs650. I followed the instructions perfectly but it keeps shorting out when i turn the keys. I have narrowed it down to the red and brown wires from the kit that are supposed to connect to the ignition switch from the rectifier/regulator (brown wire) and from the CDI (Red wire). Any suggestions?

what do you mean by shorting out? is it blowing fuses? how do you have your ignition switch wired?

I think you need to check your wiring again. Make sure everthing is getting power when it should and no wires are shorting to ground.
Posting the wiring diagram might help.

Man you really cant see much wiring.. which is the point obviously.. Im in the process of ordering the 80-84 version of there wiring harness.. How was the difficulty level of wiring it all up? You run the bare minimum, or did you put turn signals on too?

no signals for me, just headlight, taillight/brake. The kit is plug and play. It does not include any lighting circuits.

Back