TCBros wiring harness - Switch

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have followed the diretions fot he TCBros wiring harness. They do not say where the negative terminal of the switch connects to. Does it connect to the frame (or negative battery terminal)?

Thanks,
Adam

the neg terminal of the battery connects to the frame, so it doesnt really matter so long as the connection to ground is good.

Ok. I am still confused.

The instructions mention an ignition switch. I am using a simple toggle switch. They mention 2 wires that must connect to the + terminal of the switch. They do not mention the - terminal of the switch. Where does the - terminal of the switch connect?

Thanks,
Adam

Ok. Thanks. I followed the instructions exactly and my battery was shorted. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Does the regulator/rectifier need to be isolated from the frame? Any other ideas?

The picture of the harness is found here:
http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/store...image&pID=93&zenid=hkr61gtppu0m80smm7aps25024

On the ignition part of the harness the red goes to a toggle switch then to the positive battery terminal.
The black wire goes to the negative terminal of the battery.

On the charging part of the harness the brown wire goes to the positive terminal of the switch
The red goes to the postiive battery terminal
The black goes to the battery.

The negative battery terminal is also grounded to the frame.

Adam

That sounds like you got it right, check your wires for cracks or a frayed spot?

xs650newb;

A verbal description is not clear enough to give you help. You should post a picture of the wiring diagram you are using...................I hope you are using a wiring diagram! The diagram is like a road map...................you can't get from A to B without a diagram.

Here's a diagram that shows the basic connections. Even a no frills wiring will follow the same basic connections.

Attachments

• XS650 all years.JPG
    XS650 all years.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 67
xs650newb, sounds like in this instance that the -(neg) from the switch will go to the componate your trying to have switched power to. Generally speaking, switches are not polarized and there is no pos. and neg sides. Think of a switch as an power interupter. Rectifiers and regulator are not normally (unless the directions say to)insolated from the frame. They do need to be in bare metal contact with the frame. Usually thru mounting bolt and immediatly surround area is sufficient.

From the last post, "They do need to be in bare metal contact with the frame".

Actually that's not correct. Because many items on these bikes are rubber mounted, you can't generally use the metal frame as a ground return path. Examples.........battery box, tail light, handlebars, horn are all rubber mounted.

Yamaha overcame this by running a common black wire within the wiring harness. Electrical components such as rectifier and regulator have a black wire that connects to that common black wire. The common black wire is then connected to bare metal of the frame/engine for return to the battery negative.

Back