TCI M59201P chip info needed.

Streetmedik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have, or know where I can get a data sheet for the M59201P chip that is in some TCI's?

I am looking to come up with an alternative. But without knowing what exactly this chip does, that is a difficult task.

Thanks.

Thanks. and yes, it is obsolete. Thus, any TCI containing that chip is also obsolete. If the M59201P is just a pre amp, then it wont be as hard as I was thinking.

Thanks for that. I'm still searching for the exact specs on the chip.

Ha. That's more than I ever found on it. But I think the chip on the board has 14 or 16 pins. If only 8 of them are connected it might be the chip in the data sheet, in a different package.

My guess is that it's flip-flop circuits to make timers with, or dedicated timers like the 555 is. The circuit has got to have timers in it and that's the best place for them.

Somewhere on this site is a thread with a purported schematic of the TCI, drawn by a member. If it's accurate, the components attached to the chip might clue you in on what it's doing and what might substitute for it.

Another thought would be to write Hitachi or whoever makes it and as for the data sheet for it. It's probably still on file...somewhere.

yes, it is obsolete. Thus, any TCI containing that chip is also obsolete.

Obsolete means superseded by something better. The chip may or may not be, but I don't think the TCI is particularly obsolete. It certainly doesn't follow that it is because that chip is. Through-hole mounting is obsolete, for that matter.

I got that schematic off here.. But it is built around a different chip. Still it gave me a starting point.

I wrote to Mitsubishi, their logo is on the TCI. Explained the situation. They tole me to contact Yamaha. I wrote to Yamaha.... they told me to contact Mitsubishi.

THe TCI for the XV250 is available all over China. But no one makes one for the XV700 and larger bikes.

Get a Mitsubishi data book for something, anything. Mitsubishi TTL book would be ideal if there is such a thig. It will have some good contact info. Get in touch with particular individuals. You might eventually wind around to it.

You may dead end at the language barrier though :)

I looked all over for this in the past. One reference said it was a frequency to voltage converter. I've read that it is a proprietary chip made specifically for Yamaha so a data sheet was never available.

Instead of trying to reconstruct an antiquated system, you could just make a new board using modern microcontrollers. You could dial it in with a better advance curve and dwell control than the Yamaha engineers could have ever dreamed about when they made the original TCI. Here is one I built for my drag car. http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/digital.htm I know of one guy who adapted it to his XS650.

hey mrriggs, ive seen you mention the guy who adapted it to his xs before. do you know if he ever finished and got it working?

Just a wanker listening in, but can't this just be designed ground up with a modern chip? Seems like it could have a programmable advance curve which would be a huge plu$.

Likely it could. But I am a medic and not an electrical engineer. Electronics has been my hobby since I was a teenager.... long long ago.. in the days of tubes... I still like to reverse engineer things and build things.. So, with my limited abilities, in order to build a new one, I need to understand the old one. If someone with an electronics background was to tackle it, I an sure they could do it simply, and would not cost a fortune to produce.

I am not trying to find a source for the old chip.. just data on it so I know exactly what it does.

On the other hand, if I could find a pin comparable chip, I could repair TCI's for people that would love to get their bikes back running again.,

Well yeah but most of the time it's not the chip that fails? output diodes, the big transister, solder joints seem to be favorite failure points. I guess my point is that Pamco pete has a good product but a crank driven ignition with a programmable advance would be a real plus, not sure about how good, advanced, reliable the the Boyer system is. http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_105697/article.html kinda old?

I looked at the Pamco. But, sad to say, I dont have a nice cool XS650. I have a Virago. V-Twin. Would have to have a Pemco type device on each cylinder.

Pamco does not have an advance it relies on the mechanical advance from the <80 XS650 points engine

hey mrriggs, ive seen you mention the guy who adapted it to his xs before. do you know if he ever finished and got it working?

This came up a couple months ago and I was able to track the guy down and ask him how it turned out. He said that he got it working but sold the bike shortly after. So it may still be running around out there somewhere.

This came up a couple months ago and I was able to track the guy down and ask him how it turned out. He said that he got it working but sold the bike shortly after. So it may still be running around out there somewhere.

interesting...

ive been messing around with some microcontrollers and embedded electronics recently and i think the challenge of making this work could be pretty fun. i found your schematics and parts list and am in the process of making up an electronic diagram as well as laying out a pcb.

if i get any farther than pcb layout and actually end up making something, maybe ill start a thread on it...

like everyone said, programmable crank triggered ignition could be pretty cool...

I agree with Mrriggs that if you wanted to build one yourself, use a microcontroller. It would be almost trivially easy to do. Gauging by the things I had to do back in my career I think I could have this out the door in about a week if I had all the equipment I needed in front of me. But - I would rather ride and travel than work, and anyway I just don't know if it would be worth it as a business. If someone would buy it for a lot more than it would cost me to get my shit together, then sure :) But they wouldn't because they don't think it would be much of a business either....

Back