TCI or points?

Aproductions

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what most members on here prefer in terms of ignition on their bike. Is the older points system better or the newer TCI system?

Maybe a list of + and -'s

TCI on my '82 has done the job well so far. I have replaced the original coil (casing was starting to crack) and the plug wires and caps. "Older" and "newer" are relative terms - TCI-equipped XS650's are 30 years old now, and time takes some toll on electronic components. Information is available on this site about how to repair TCI's, component replacement, re-soldering, etc. Whatever system you like, it's still quite important to keep all the wiring connectors and grounds clean and tight.

Putting the Pamco on the 79 and earlier bikes is slightly easier than on the 80 up bikes. The 79 and older already have the advancer in the engine, the 80 you have to install the advancer parts.
That adds at most about an hour to the install.
On a scale of 1-10 the older is a 3 the later is a 4.
Leo

They all work and all break. The best might be what you already have. Then spend the money you would have spent on a different one on spare parts for what you have. Then what you have is better than the rest....

My bike has TCI, if it should fail then I will convert to Pamco. I have already installed the missing camshaft bushings, advance shaft and the auto advance assembly. When the time comes all I will need is the Pamco unit. XJWMX is right in that all devices can and will fail. They just have different requirements and fail in different ways.

Back