Tearing down my 77 continues....

Pump's, no sealer on the seal, & 'fill' the channel (The piece of the seal that does the actual sealling) with grease. After 33 years, i would be stubborn,too. Oh wait, I AM. A socket will do the job just fine. If you are installing them without putting the case on, use the end of the socket that you would put the ratchet into. The drive end, because it's flatter. Less chance of deforming the seal.

Sorry guy's, no one here yet for me to take some pic's of the Fat Cat. Want a couple with me in them to give you a perspective/ referance point. I'll try to catch him laying on his back with his fat stomach in the air. You will laugh your ass off.

I did my kickstart, final drive, clutch pushrod and fork seals without any sealant, and no leaks so far. just used a large socket and carefully tapped into place - once it started moving, it seated fairly easily. Just make sure your edges are clean and/or chamfered (no sharp/jagged edges at the top of the seat) which might tear into the seal as it is inserted.

Some people swear by using yamabond or 3bond when putting in seals, but my personal experience is that it's not necessary if the seat is clean and you put it in straight.

I have pulled the left side off tonight. I have questions of course. Pulled out the clutch push rod. How long should the stock one be? A one piece? Mine is 9.5 inches long. In the pictures I have wiped it off a little but the clutch pushrod seal doesn't look like it leaks. At least from pictures of leaky ones.
IMG_0050.jpg

I'm wondering if a PO has changed out this seal as it looks sort of newish.
IMG_0051.jpg

Change out the seals anyway? Give me some advice here guys.
I guess this squarish thing is the shift shaft guard that must be removed in order to run an 18t counter sprocket.
IMG_0050.jpg

Looking at the washer behind the sprocket and the way it's bent up makes me think it has been off?
This cover here has oil on it. Maybe leaking from the shift shaft seal? What's behind that cover. Something to do with the starter.
IMG_0049.jpg

The last seal that didn't leak that I changed ended up leaking.........Run it..........

xsjohn

I have pulled the left side off tonight. I have questions of course. Pulled out the clutch push rod. How long should the stock one be? A one piece? Mine is 9.5 inches long. In the pictures I have wiped it off a little but the clutch pushrod seal doesn't look like it leaks. At least from pictures of leaky ones.
I'm wondering if a PO has changed out this seal as it looks sort of newish.
Change out the seals anyway?

- not leaking?-dont touch it

I guess this squarish thing is the shift shaft guard that must be removed in order to run an 18t counter sprocket.
- could make something like this
2004-10-09GearShifterProtector01.jpg

- and run the cable so
2007-10-22Wiring01.jpg

Looking at the washer behind the sprocket and the way it's bent up makes me think it has been off?
- you mean the sprocket lock washer?-probably been reused after replacing the sprocket

This cover here has oil on it. Maybe leaking from the shift shaft seal? What's behind that cover. Something to do with the starter.
- could be chain lubricant thats been thrown off the chain or oil from the seal behind the sprocket or from the shift shaft or from the push rod seal-clean and run, youll soon find out
- behind the cover are the starter reduction gears and seal

pumps your left side look a lot nicer than mine! if you do change the pushrod seal though make sure you chamfer(sp?) it...because i went through two before i was able to get one in without it ripping...

I guess I'll clean it up.Get the swing arm on, get the wheel on .Get some spray parts cleaner, roll it out side when it's a half ass warm day and spray it off til it's clean.
I plan on ordering a sprocket and washer anyway. The gasket that goes under that gear train cover I think I'll throw on my parts order too so I'll have it. I see mike has it listed.

And the pushrod at 9.5 inches? That's a one piece ? Looked slightly dimpled at the end , where it contacts the ball bearing maybe?
My electrics...need to swap out the long screws holding the stator cover on, the phillips are sort of buggered up.
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Happy St. Patricks day to all of you. We have the (I think ) third largest parade in the country going on here today about two blocks from my station and I am on duty today. I'm sure it will be an interesting 24 hours. Lots of ...revelers.

Last edited:
And the pushrod at 9.5 inches? That's a one piece ? Looked slightly dimpled at the end , where it contacts the ball bearing maybe?

- the short rod that normally pokes out on the later models is about 85mm long and should fit so that about 35mm slides into the motor...around 50mm should be showing outside the seal...if the last rod is longer then it is probably the long one

These 3 screws should be loctited.........found mine loose and one had backed out and started to eat the case............easy to do when you are there....spray brake cleaner on the screws and threads and loctite..........

xsjohn

Attachments

• STARTING_MOTOR_UNIT.jpg
    STARTING_MOTOR_UNIT.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 150
Picked up the swingarm and tension bar from my powder coater guy today. It looks really nice.
So I have this needle bearing conversion kit that has the damn instuctions in the package in german...ONLY.
IMG_0050-1.jpg

IMG_0052-1.jpg

So does the tube goes in the middle... Then push the bearing sets in each end..then the seals...they have a flat side and a side with a lip. Which way does it go?
An online tutorial would be cool...

Ahhhmm thinkin' the bolts xsjohn refers to are BEHIND that cover. Not going through that cover. That's what I think I see in the picture.

- not leaking?-dont touch it

- could make something like this
2004-10-09GearShifterProtector01.jpg

- and run the cable so
2007-10-22Wiring01.jpg

- you mean the sprocket lock washer?-probably been reused after replacing the sprocket

- could be chain lubricant thats been thrown off the chain or oil from the seal behind the sprocket or from the shift shaft or from the push rod seal-clean and run, youll soon find out
- behind the cover are the starter reduction gears and seal

INXS, if that engine is yours... I hate you.

- no, belongs to goran persson...hes pretty fastidious
- my engines are mostly clean, but used - i hate polishing

Back