Tell me about the XJ750

Boog

Traveling Stroyteller
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have never ridden an XJ750 nor have I actually considered owning one until now.

I have a possibility to pick up either a 1982 or a 1984, either one is running with '82 being a fresh restoration and the other still original but is a weekly ridden bike. Both have less than 20K miles. And I think the price is within reason. But, I have no idea what I would get in a general sense with either.

So, I ask the brain trust here what you know of the XJ750s. I figure you have enlightened me greatly about the beloved XS650, what have you got for the XJ?

logo%20-%20XJBikes.png

They have a good forum. https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/

743.jpg

They have a great parts supplier. http://xj4ever.com/

Well, both the XJ650 and XJ750 are shaft drive. So gearing changes and wheel swaps are very complicated to do. Other wise they are ok I guess, if you like the looks. Personally I like the 650 better

Well, both the XJ650 and XJ750 are shaft drive. So gearing changes and wheel swaps are very complicated to do. Other wise they are ok I guess, if you like the looks. Personally I like the 650 better
I like the XS650 better also. I know the guy that owns xj4ever.com. I use to take care of his web site. He owns Yearone.com and does the XJ’s from his house now. I worked for Yearone for 11 years and only saw Len once at the Yearone store.

I like the XS650 better also. I know the guy that owns xj4ever.com. I use to take care of his web site. He owns Yearone.com and does the XJ’s from his house now. I worked for Yearone for 11 years and only saw Len once at the Yearone store.
I buy XS11 parts from Len. His stuff is all 1st quality.

Might want to read up on YICS and the special tool that goes with it.
The US XJ750 was similar to the XJ650. except, the 650 SECA did not have YICS, had a lower axle ratio. IIRC. The 650 Seca probably had more power than the YICS750. It had a higher terminal speed, a tenth of a second or so longer, with longer gearing, in the quarter mile as tested by Cycle or Cycle World .

I have an XJ550, similar to the XJ750/XJ650 I will be tearing into next winter. I'v been exploring XJ4ever site and ordering/finding parts for it. Not much value for these bikes but I think it was a pretty good power plant.

Might want to read up on YICS and the special tool that goes with it.
Thanks brother, that suggestion is quite helpful. I saw this on Norm Kokes' page:

"The later models of Yamaha (1982 & newer) use a YICS ( Yamaha Induction Control System) which is basically a vacuum balancing system in the intake manifold. A gallery is located just below the intake passages connecting all four intakes together via small air passages (approx. 1/8" ) the gallery itself is approx. 3/8" in diameter and 16" long on the 1100's. ( one of these days I'll convert to metric )

To balance the carbs and set the idle mixtures properly the YICS must be rendered inactive so a true vacuum can be established. A special tool is required to seal the YICS passages while this adjusting is going on. The tool incorporates three rubber hose sections to act as seals, they are located in such a way as to isolate the passages from each other."

That is useful to know.

My neighbour had an xj650. He asked me for help with it. He either didn't have the money for the YICS tool or was too impatient. He was convinced he could adjust it without the tool. The bike never ran properly after he started fiddling with it. Still, I think they are good engines and good bikes, and would consider buying one if the right deal came along.

I have an XJ550, similar to the XJ750/XJ650 I will be tearing into next winter. I'v been exploring XJ4ever site and ordering/finding parts for it. Not much value for these bikes but I think it was a pretty good power plant.
upload_2021-8-20_16-11-44.jpeg

That XJ550 is a nice bike. Chain drive too!

Thanks @650Skull, that is a great article! I learned lot from that.

Go to the home page and bookmark the site. Covers a hell of a lot of manufactures, (from the main 4 Japanese to the ob-squire), and just about all of their models. Handy for future potential purchases.

Go to the home page and bookmark the site. Covers a hell of a lot of manufactures, (from the main 4 Japanese to the ob-squire), and just about all of their models. Handy for future potential purchases.
Wow, there is a few weeks worth of reading. It is bookmarked now. Thanks again brother.

Back