the first build . . . well kinda second build

rbrown

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So last year me and my brother Ranger as he calls himself one this herr forum built a co-owned bike a 80xs650 Smokin Armadillo for the 2014 buildoff. This year i start my build granted it will probably take more than a year (do to the loftyness of the build in my head) but itll be fun and i plan on giving yall folks lots of perty pictures to look at along the way.

to start the festivities one of last years build Smokin to the upper left and in the presence of KINGS Dan and Hugh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 335
Well for some reason i cant get my computer to let me upload more than one picture per post. Guess Ill just lay out the plans.

Bore bore kit
2in drop front tubes (already have) keeping dual front brakes deffinitaly getting rid of the 8in over tubes that were on the thing
19in front 16in rear nothing fancy
Voodoo hardtail since Im in Texas they in Texas seems logical and its only 1/3 across the state
2into1 intake want to use BS34 so if someones got an extra Ill take it off your hands

And this is how it looked hot of the trailer from some far northern state. Front tubes tank seat all up for grabs but ill make a classified posting for it all later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 286
Well my bad for using an Ipad as my only computer still can only do one image per post and this is of how i left the bike tonight. Will pull the motor maybe tomorrow but it is an hour drive soo maybe itll be a Motorcycle Mondays thing as Ranger and his son call emm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 221
Well looks like i might have had a small leak good thing this motor is getting rephased by Hugh and other fun goodies (hopefully, wallet willing).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 224
Well its always nice to have special tools at work that make my life slightly easier.

full

full

Cleaning the wheels and chain side side cover in the varsol vat at work

full

Put the front wheel together new 19in 36 spoke with stainless spokes from MIKESXS put together just for mock up purposes until i figure out the colors im doing. Will put the rear wheel together today MAYBE then will need to true them up and mount the rubber.

So after looking at the front wheel I did a few days ago I realized that I screwed it up BIG time:banghead:. Not sure how since I was following the posting of someone else as far as I could tell word for word. But ehh first time lacing a wheel. So I tore it completely down and started over last night. This time instead of following someone elses writen instructions I used my old wheel since I cut the spokes as close to the hub as I could it makes a perfect template.

So this is with just the inner spokes in after the restart. Looks better already.
full

This is completly spoked front next to its template wheel.
full

This is the rear wheel (sitting on top of the old one) with inners in. Damn thing had 2 different sizes for both inner and outter.
full

Totaly spoked rear with its template.
full

:):bike:

Maybe it's my phone, but I'm not seeing the pics on the last two posts.... And I still say figure out what you're gonna do with the hubs before putting the wheels together and mounting the tires :)

Hope that helps changed album from private to public.

These are the 2in drop (so the seller said) front forks 34mm that Ill be using. They will be treated to a mild shave (as Im doing dual front brakes) and not sure what the lowers shall be for the final finish yet. Same boat as the wheels.
full

didnt take a pic of the motor out and sitting on table but this is me removing the massive breather assembly since it kinda was preventing the motor from being free

full

Not much progress in terms of the build however the motor is out. And goodies have arrived. Yes I know I havnt even built the motor blah blah blah but I got excited :bike: and Hugh is a great guy met him at the build off and super helpful couldnt be happier to help support him and his buisiness. Though Im not sure why it came with 4 bolts maybe just a packaging hicup? :confused:
AND I GOT A NEW STICKER FOR MY TOOLBOX!!!!!:thumbsup:
full

And here sits my motor in all its 40 year old glory. Almost twice as old as I am.
full

You got a long road ahead looking forward to seeing it come together sorry those forks I brought you didn't work out for you.Good luck Keep the pics coming.

So this was actually a week or 2 ago but got the scrap cut off the ass end of my bike. So now gotta clean the frame up a lil bit and then take it to Austin home of the awesome guys of VOODOO VINTAGE.

full

Yeah yeah goggles keep your eyes safe but I couldnt see so they got removed.

full

full

And this is my 8 pack clutch kit i got from Ippytattoo on here came in super quick and good lord probably safer than Fort Knox he packaged them so well. And more importantly cheaper than the barnett discs i was gonna get. MADE IN THE USA!!!

full

HAHA!! Glad to see you got them safe and sound. I tend to be a little extra cautious when it comes to packaging. I really don't make much on these things so the last thing I want to have to do is send out warranty replacements for damage in shipping.

yeah i havnt tought about i much though the first bike me and ranger built we did a bottle opener and i planned on having one on this one too. but more than likely ill shape a piece of metal to match the neck and cut to fit weld or when i take the frame to VOODOO for the hardtail see what his ideas are. which should be this saturday.

Back