The heck is this?

Maurice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just acquired a '78 xs650 special. Like so:

DSC01519.jpg

Cleaned up, it fired right up but needed a carb cleaning. Did that and it runs pretty well now.

Checked the points and found this:

DSC01522.JPG

The right side looks like this:

DSC01523.JPG

This fell out on this side:

x5bUwLO0raMNU7hJ55wDbZ1DhDPswgQ5y9fY8=w741-h556-no.jpg

What is this ignition? Anyone know?

Thanks,

Maurice

Boyer bransden or PAMCO ignition. Cam timed electronic ignition.

Someone who knows the insides of each one more will be able to help more than I can.

EDIT: Just to be clear.....this is something that you WANT. :)

Last edited:
Nice buy. It's rare that a nice surprise like that shows up on a special. Those pipes look excellent.

Nice Hawk 650GT too. I lusted after those for several years and ended up with an SV650. Guy at work has a red '88. Excellent bikes.

That pin is one of the alignment pins from the stock advancer or advancer rod. If you put it back it willl rattle and drive you crazy.
Leo

Mine came with a BB ignition too. I thought it was a BB, but wasnt 100% sure, cause I don't think ive ever really studied what it and the PAMCO look like exactly.

Thanks for the info. The pin is some left over then, not needed?

The bike cleaned up nice, and it does have a rebuilt front brake and euro bars now. Much better looking IMO.

Yeah the Hawk is a nice bike, so much fun in the twisties.

Ummm, I think you need that pin. It locks whatever you happen to have on the advance rod in the proper position. I may be wrong but I'd worry a bit to find it laying in the bottom of the housing like that.

And talking of "lust", you guys dream too small, or at least on the wrong continent .....

Cagiva 650, oh what a bike ...... a civilized Ducati, one you could actually drive on a daily basis. Moto Guzzi Mille GT, the ultimate Euro Standard. What, never heard of these? Google and weep baby, Google and weep.

Maurice - if you have a single coil in there it is kit 103, if you have two it is kit 103. There is no difference to the ignition itself (digital advance) except the coils. The two coil set-up means you can swap them yourself with others readily available, the single coil means you will have to go back to Boyer Branston for a replacement should you ever need to.

Anlaf

Ummm, I think you need that pin. It locks whatever you happen to have on the advance rod in the proper position. I may be wrong but I'd worry a bit to find it laying in the bottom of the housing like that.

And talking of "lust", you guys dream too small, or at least on the wrong continent .....

Cagiva 650, oh what a bike ...... a civilized Ducati, one you could actually drive on a daily basis. Moto Guzzi Mille GT, the ultimate Euro Standard. What, never heard of these? Google and weep baby, Google and weep.

What I've read about, and what I could actually afford (or find one to drool over in person!) have often been quite different machines. :laugh:

Maurice - if you have a single coil in there it is kit 103, if you have two it is kit 103. There is no difference to the ignition itself (digital advance) except the coils. The two coil set-up means you can swap them yourself with others readily available, the single coil means you will have to go back to Boyer Branston for a replacement should you ever need to.

Anlaf

It's a single coil setup. I assume you can't switch (i.e. install 2 coils on a 1 coil setup)?

Thanks for all the info, right now it runs (yes the front brake is back on, master+caliper rebuilt) but I'm fixing the gremlins (signals, etc.) before the "big" changes. My inspiration is the "Gorton Commandgo".

BTW the XS vibrates much less than I expected, and handles surprisingly well also.

Cheers!

Yes, you can swap from one to two coils, just that if you want a replacement single coil you have to return to Boyer Branston for theirs.

As far as any bits you have - just stick them in a box somewhere, you won't need the pin on this set up, lnly if you return to mechanical advance (and I think Pete at Pamco supplies a pin in his kit for that same purpose anyway).

Anlaf

Back