The Stovetop Scrambler: 1974 tx650 Scrambler Rebuild

We will see how great of a deal it is when the next one arrives,

Hey on the plus side..I have a spare for parts!

Back at it.. Heres an update.

Seat pan: Chopped up the one I have been using. I need to make a sheet metal extension to the front to hide the tank mount. It will then be upholstered with thicker, denser from and tuck and roll marine vinyl.
newbuild1.jpg

newbuild2.jpg

newbuild3.jpg

The finished parts pile is building. Note the freshly painted headlight/ring.

newbuild4.jpg

Mail! Some new parts fresh off the truck, as well as my new Watson riding gloves. With this order I have a front caliper rebuild kit, carb kits, bronze swingarm bushings. Some miscellaneous fresh hardware, all new parts for my rear drum..

newbuild5.jpg

New fork boots

newbuild6.jpg

Last edited:
Front end thrown together: Polished upper crown, bronze painted lower crown, polished hardware all around, polished lowers, drilled disk with bronze painted center, Fresh wheel paint with the tw30. These are air assisted forks as well.

newbuild7.jpg

newbuild8.jpg

newbuild9.jpg

Fresh swingarm with bushings just resting in

newbuild10.jpg

Footpegs: I scored some pegs off of god knows what down at the motorcycle salvage. They match the stock xs kicker (which I think I will keep) and I also managed to get a matching pair for the passenger pegs. What i did to mount them to the stock xs mounts was quite simple.

Grind off the old rivet holding the pegs in place. I had to modify the xs mounts slightly on a bench grinder to allow the new pegs to sit at the correct angle. Than Just a bolt and a couple washers. I also used a rubber washer to help with vibration.

newbuild11.jpg

newbuild12.jpg

newbuild13.jpg

Drum: new springs, and shoes. New brake linkage rod and hardware as well. And, as you have seen, drilled and polished.

newbuild14.jpg

Back to the frame tomorrow I believe!

Thanks mate.

Shocks: Decided to give these a go. I have heard good feedback for the price, and really, I just wanted some bling, and a nicer ride then the worn out stockers.

I will report back about these and give a detailed review once Im riding.

Hey all, Heres some updates.

Electrical Tray: Small and tight, enough to hold a blade fuse panel. Ill be bolting the reg/rec to the bottom, and running hughs pma, petes pamco, and a capacitor.
Note: I forgot to take pictures after I bent up the last piece at the back of the tray, as well as the front mounts. Whoops! Ill get some once its welded up and painted.

newbuild26.jpg

newbuild27.jpg

Seat pan. The front piece is 16ish gauge sheet steel, and is there to cover up the tank mounts, and still allow easy, instant removal of the seat.

The rear of the pan is shaped underneath to allow the fender to fit a little tighter, as well as around the middle is shaped to fit around the frame brace. This all together keeps the seat as flat as possible on the frame for a flush fit.

newbuild23.jpg

newbuild20.jpg

newbuild21.jpg

newbuild22.jpg

Rear fender mockup. Chopped up front fender, will just have a small steel mount, most likely bolted to the rear of the frame.

newbuild24.jpg

newbuild25.jpg

Managed to get the frame stripped down, and painted with the first two coats.

img0443cb.jpg

img0442cl.jpg

newbuild17.jpg

Right hand side engine cover. Polished, masked, and painted black on the front.

newbuild18.jpg

Thats all for today folks. Let me know what you think so far!

And shes back from the dead!!

newbuild28.jpg

newbuild29.jpg

newbuild30.jpg

newbuild31.jpg

newbuild36.jpg

Thought id also show you all a picture of my bicycle I built, Cafe racer style! :laugh:
Note: I just brought it inside, It was locked to a friends house and I had lost the key for about 2 months, sitting in the rain. Whoops! It has gotten some.. well, patina.

newbuild32.jpg

newbuild33.jpg

newbuild34.jpg

It started out as a chopper with ape hangers and flames everywhere.. Frame is a GT Dyno frame.

Tank emblems ftw! Made these puppys out of two right side covers (whoops!). Some cutting, grinding, bending, and a quick flash of paint and they are lookin fly! Im thinking ima paint a faux bronze patina look on them, but fill in the yamaha with a black paint marker.

newbuild37.jpg

newbuild38.jpg

newbuild40.jpg

Sick!! Badge looks awesome raw! Painting the letters might make it look decal-ish but what the hell you can always scrub the paint back off if you don't like it.

Back