This Head Look Straight?

Belle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I pulled the springs from the cylinder & getting it ready to go to the machinist. I should not pull the valve guides, right--hell, I'm not even sure I can--but am I overlookin' something that should come off?

Also, these guide seals are in pretty good shape but one of them is ripped
(see pix 2 & 3/ #3 is ripped). I should replace all of them & get some new O-rings too, huh?

Did I read not too long ago about the valves being big enough, nearly too big? I'm pretty sure I did so staying with a stock size valve would be kool?

I'm ordering the high rise manifolds from Mike's or something (I forget right off) & they have a 35mm diameter intake hole & the carbs I think I'm gonna use have a 37mm outer diameter w/ a 35mm inner diameter hole so, I am having the intake ported to 35mm from the 32mm (or so), I wasn't going to mess with the exhaust side because I have some decent standard size exhaust--any problems I should have forethought about since I'm right here?

Attachments

• #1 049.jpg
    #1 049.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 142
  • #1 050.jpg
    #1 050.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 133
  • #1 051.jpg
    #1 051.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 117
  • #1 052.jpg
    #1 052.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 139
That's okay, I'm really procrastinating on the homework I need to do.

Mark Twain said, "Never put off till tomorrow what you can do day after tomorrow just as well."

Have you ever had a good running XS650?

They are fine engines just the way Yamaha built them.

You want more power, or why are you changing things?

Going full steam ahead without a plan will surely make for a great learning experience.

Learning! Big into IT.

I love pushin' my bike home until I get it all figured out (no kiddin!)

I've never messed w/ an XS650 before &, to be completely honest, I'm not a humongous fan other than I like the motor. You see, I have an affliction...someday I want to have my own motorcycle company. I want the whole thing--all of it. So, I took some college businesses classes & showed an Automotive teacher my plans (by the way I have an engine/trans plan), they said, great go & get some experience...so, with what money I have that's exactly what I'm doing. I may not ever get it all but...well...I'll end up pretty good.

So, I should replace all 4 valve seals, huh?

I suggest you read...read lots......

Yes I suggest you replace all 4 valve stem seals - you never pull a head & not replace all the seals.

Good luck to you & your "machinist" friend on increasing the internal diameter of your intakes - you'll need it.

The idea for opening the intake ports is to remove as much obstacle as possible, its not a stupid drunken action. The stock XS carbs I have have a 37mm opening & the stock intake manifold quickly tapers to the 32mm intake of the cylinder head. In my opinion this obstruction is a negative disruption to the fuel flow. So, to get the most bang for my buck I may be wanting to do it right the first, rather than pulling it all apart to do costly machining work again & again. I may also want to go w/ over sized valves to allow a freer flowing intake & exhaust--folks been doing it for years. Thought the members might want to talk about it. Thought we all might enjoy that learning experience I'm to embark upon.

The ports are on the verge of being too large as it is. Don't make them bigger, it will make things worse. These motors have been around for a long time and what you're contemplating has been tried - it doesn't work. Simply clean up the casting flaws. You can polish the exhausts but leave the intakes textured. That aids in atomizing the fuel.

You might want to look at this thread for starters. Jack is the man with the know how and the experience with the xs head. At the bottom is a link to another thread with pics of his work. Read up on everything he has done and you will be further ahead.

Yes, folks have been doing it for years. But, you will never hear them ask if they should replace valve seals.

He has used a variation of the thread title for other items.
I'm guessing his use of the word straight(in my time straight was avoided, we liked living bent) is asking if it is OK. Are these exhausts straight? Are these carbs straight?
And iirc is this cam straight where he demolished an ATU.

In fact he learned several ways--a lot of 'their' ways. He saw many of 'their' ways left them on the couch & they never learned any other way, regardless of their creativity. He learned to quit asking if it was okay, becoming learned by doing.

I'm goin' for a ride.

The generic questions were meant to bring other members in--I would guess its something on their mind. I don't need ya to fix my bike--I'll do that myself baby. The inquiry was meant to stimulate mature conversation & provide solid material for each & their own to make solid decisions--I see that's been blown...too bad....this was my way of sharing information rather than simply providing answers

See ya around after awhile. I go for a ride.

1; So, I pulled the springs from the cylinder & getting it ready to go to the machinist.
1a;I should not pull the valve guides, right--hell, I'm not even sure I can--but
1b; am I overlookin' something that should come off?

2; Also, these guide seals are in pretty good shape but one of them is ripped
(see pix 2 & 3/ #3 is ripped). I should replace all of them
2a;& get some new O-rings too, huh?

3; Did I read not too long ago about the valves being big enough, nearly too big?
3a; I'm pretty sure I did so staying with a stock size valve would be kool?

4; I'm ordering the high rise manifolds from Mike's or something (I forget right off) & they have a 35mm diameter intake hole &
4a; the carbs I think I'm gonna use have a 37mm outer diameter w/ a 35mm inner diameter hole so,
4b; I am having the intake ported to 35mm from the 32mm (or so),
4c; I wasn't going to mess with the exhaust side because I have some decent standard size exhaust--
4d; any problems I should have forethought about since I'm right here?

1; Good.
1a; Are you asking a question. if you are. Only if they are worn
1b; only have to take any thing else off if it is required for what you are doing

2; ok.
2a; if they need replacing

3; Don't know, did you?
3a; ok

4; couldn't find the "High rise manifolds" on Mikes, so they must be something or something from somewhere else with 35 mm intake hole.
4a; ok
4b; interesting, i presume you will taper them
4c; ok
4d; only if it is something that is not a good thing to do because others have tried it and it is proven it won't work, but it also depends on what you are trying to do overall

Wierd, he doesn't type as if HE'S straight

Say's someone that dresses themselves up as a dog.

OK, obviously there are a few definitions of "straight". My bad I prolly should have clarified my innuendo. What I meant by "straight" was sober, as opposed to, well, not sober. The fact that I dress myself up as a dog makes me kinky, and not necessarily anything more. And besides, who among us doesn't love a kinky dog?

The bottom line is it's your bike - do what you want with it. Hog those ports out big enough so you can park your truck in them - we don't care. It's not going to run very well but like I said, we don't care, it's your bike. Consider it a lesson learned through 1st hand experience even though you were told not to do that.

You're the perfect candidate for a little game I learned about years ago called "Stick Quiz". A group of people sit in a circle and choose a leader. He asks them questions and if they don't know the answer, he hits them with a stick. All I'm going to say is you are not the leader, lol.

Belle, here a hot tip for you. Use the "search" function at the top of the page for researching all of your theoretical ideas on increasing the performance of the xs650 engine - a great free resource.
Like I said....read & research before you post questions & it will save you some grief. People come on here to help other xs650 owners....but if you post questions & spew forth ideas (as innocent as they may be) about cylinder head modifications that will do nothing for your engines performance - people are going to play with you...

Back