This is where I'm at in my build.

Jmann8686

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This build is a 80 that had been started to be chopped. I picked it up About a year ago. Made some slow progress over the winter and the past couple months. Got the frame cleaned up and some other tabs and things cut off. Went with a VI brat kit. I was going to go hard tail but decided to do a brat style instead. Lowered the forks 2". Went with the axes tank. Got some custom bars mocked up. I had the motor bored out to 700 by Hoos racing. Everything to get the motor back together should be here Thursday. Got the fender mounted and started working on the seat pan as well. Still have a long way to go but it is coming along. Nicely I think.

CBB8F636-EAA7-4B4B-9448-47E3E4B1F8E2.JPG

IMG_8328.JPG

Last edited:
looking good!

Looks good, fun stuff keep us updated.

Thanks guys. Now i just need some time to put things back together. I have to break the cam chain and get a new one of those. Figure i'm in the motor might as well change out everything i can. I would like the gap the rings and get them installed on the pistons. tad nervous about that due to never have doing that type of thing. I am still waiting on the valve springs as well. So still lots of motor work ahead of me. But hoping by the end of June I will have the motor back together.

So it’s been awhile since I have updated my own build thread. Since the last post over a year ago. I’m still making slow progress. I finally got the motor finish and fired up. It is bored out to 700. Shell 1 cam and RD springs. I went through and replaced everything. I have VM34 carbs on it. And I’m running PowerDynamo ignition. Been slowly getting small things finished up. Rear fender, some lighting, bars, tank, and some other misc stuff. Today I worked on the clutch. Got new EBC clutch plates and springs installed today where I ran into a small issue. After the install and adjustments i put the bike in gear and she dies. I have read some posts and I’m wondering if my clutch springs are too stiff. I can put the bike in first and pull in the clutch and kick the bike over and can feel it move. But when the bike is fired and I put it in first it dies. So that’s next on my list to figure out.
CDB538E9-7636-4E3F-B092-EA58D0F245D4.jpeg

My 77 did that at first when I got it back on the road from sitting for 2 or 3 years. Clutch plates were stuck together. Did you soak the new plates in oil or atf before install?

Back