This is why you check EVERYTHING.............

I don't replace the springs, I just replace the hub with another good one. Complete used clutches can be had off eBay for in the $20 to $30 range. The spring repair kit costs more than that. Besides, you'll get extras of everything (plates, springs, screws, etc.). I bought 2 so far.

I don't replace the springs, I just replace the hub with another good one. Complete used clutches can be had off eBay for in the $20 to $30 range. The spring repair kit costs more than that. Besides, you'll get extras of everything (plates, springs, screws, etc.). I bought 2 so far.

Good idea. Got any idea what year range will fit? my motor is a 74.

Stick with '74 or newer. In '80, the inner hub and plate stack was redesigned incorporating a spring loaded plate at the bottom of the stack and using one less fiber plate. I swapped one of these into my '78 and like it. It engages smoother when taking off in 1st. Other than that, I don't notice any difference in performance.

Stick with '74 or newer. In '80, the inner hub and plate stack was redesigned incorporating a spring loaded plate at the bottom of the stack and using one less fiber plate. I swapped one of these into my '78 and like it. It engages smoother when taking off in 1st. Other than that, I don't notice any difference in performance.
:thumbsup:

Dave, I am glad to hear that something is finally going your way! As twins said, the whole clutch can be had off e-gay cheap. I was hoping someone was going to do a cush spring job, but with the hub so cheap, why go through the trouble.
BTW, just got the new's of Bin Laden's assassination. Yippee!!!!

Dave, I am glad to hear that something is finally going your way! As twins said, the whole clutch can be had off e-gay cheap. I was hoping someone was going to do a cush spring job, but with the hub so cheap, why go through the trouble.
BTW, just got the new's of Bin Laden's assassination. Yippee!!!!

Thanks, but things have never NOT been going my way since I started this project. if you buy a 32 year old used up motorycle and don't expect these kinds of things you're kidding yourself. I'm LOVIN' this shit. Every time I move to a different part of the bike I learn more about it. I've built a coupla hot rods, coupla sand rails, several race cars (all from the ground up) and when you do that you become intimate with every aspect of the vehicle. I'm not sure that I've ever had more fun with a project than I'm havin' with this one. The response from the members on this board and another one I frequent only makes it better.

I just had to turn on the TV and damned if you ain't right. They finally got the motherfucker!!

Yea Dave, I love project's such as this. Bringing something back from the dead is great. I, too, have built allot of different types of machine's, but these will definately screw with the brain, esp. when your last bike project was 30 years ago!
Now, with that sand ( sorry, no offence ment to anybody) SOB gone, are we gonna get retaliation? I sure hope not! Maybe (yea right), terrorism will take a new look and understand that killing innocent people is NOT the way to be heard! Ok, off my soap box now, as this border's on politic's, and I do not talk about politic's.

I JUST installed these... Any feedback?

Anyone try these from MikesSX, look like a good idea to replace stock phillips head screws.

clutchbolts.jpg

I have those. they work nice. make sure they don't stick out the back of the clutch basket. if they do, grind them flat

torque them to manual spec. use inch/lb torque wrench.
Yes I know this thread was old, but.........he did ask a valid question not covered in this particular thread(if im not mistaken) Im sure its been covered in other threads, but it is what it is.

Back