tig welders

when you stop dont just let up on the pedal. leave up slowly and it will get rid of that nasty crater. the crater is really weak and will crack

This is all about my _own_ efforts learning to TIG well. I had to slow down and not treat it like MIG...

I think I'll always be learning how to weld. Consistent start and stops are important. Heck, it's all important and I'm not qualified to offer advice... Here are some things that I've learned so far.

Create a simple work flow for preparing your practice materials. (like cutting straps or tubes (coping) as a production shop might). Cut/fit everything set it aside and then prepare your workspace. Make sure you are safe and your equipment is in order, then weld until you run out of materials. Everything about welding is consistency and constant improvement. I started my practicing on whatever was laying around, didn't really cut/clean/fit and thought I just sucked... After a while, I started focusing on say round tubing, then sheet metal, etc... I imagined that I was working as a fabricator/bike builder even though I didn't know how to weld like one. It's amazing how fast you will learn if you just put yourself in that mindset. Welding is only a small part of building things. (I digress about my own dreams)

I found that if I rushed to just start welding I rushed through the actual welding itself and had bad starts, stops, and had a hard time with it and never finished well.

Long winded answer from someone who is learning the same as you... Suckback, concavity and porosity are all evil. You can even make it look good on one side (like a motorcycle frame) and have it totally be crap on the other side because you did not add enough filler rod or burn in / move slowly w/ rhythm...

What model TIG are you using?

Last edited:
Actually does not look too bad. Like already said, when you are getting out of the puddle, slowly remove the filler and work the torch a little while you are lifting. Tig hates abrupt starts and stops. Practice on different thicknesses and heats until you find what works best for you. I have mine set up so the pedal is just for on and off, and I set the heat range with the dial. I have a Miller Syncrowave 300 High Frequency.

Looks like a good start to me bloodhound. Have you thought of taking any classes? I was just checking into a welding class at my local community college. They are offering 10 week summer courses in welding one night a week. Just a thought.

What type of material? If it is ERW, you will need to remove ALL the coating from the outside of the material (scale, rust, oil, etc...) or you will always get undercut like I see right now.

Work slow, use more filler, and work on not creating any undercut. Undercut is a sure fire way to have a weld fail...

Back