Tighten your ATU's or else :)

Classic

rackin' up the miles
Reaction score
This is what happens when you don't use a big enough hammer to fasten it.

IMG_20120328_165039.jpg

There is a penetrating Locktite available. I haven't found any since I used up my one bottle but I guess it is time to search for the stuff. The advancer mechanism is the perfect spot to use a penetrating Locktie on an assembled part.

Tom

I really appreciate this reminder...just got my engine back together last weekend. I'm gonna take it apart and locktite it.

I have replaced mine because the old weights and/or posts were worn. I hate the way that unit is assembled and fastened, though. I'm trying to recall... after the cover is off, can you just check tightness by taking a punch and hammer and giving it a few cracks counterclockwise? I can't recall if the star nut is accessible with a punch without removing the springs and weights. And how tight is tight, since there is no way to measure torque?

I'm going to have to pull mine at some point this season, because I have a tiny bit of oil weeping into the housing, so I'm going to replace the gaskets. o-rings, and seals on both sides... may as well do both at once. Even with a PAMCO, disassembling that ATU side always gives me the jitters. I can never remember how many little pins are supposed to be in there.

TC

I recieved my new ATU basplate today. It's all back together but won't even attempt to start. Very, very weird.

Is it located on the pin?, it is possible to when you slot the inner on to the bob-weight to get it back to front so the wrong cylinder is firing.

I've put a lot of miles on since that post. It ended up being the points lobe put on backwards. I was scheduled to go on a ride with a couple buds and in the rush I goofed.

I have replaced mine because the old weights and/or posts were worn. I hate the way that unit is assembled and fastened, though. I'm trying to recall... after the cover is off, can you just check tightness by taking a punch and hammer and giving it a few cracks counterclockwise? I can't recall if the star nut is accessible with a punch without removing the springs and weights. And how tight is tight, since there is no way to measure torque?

TC

yes, i just checked mine like that. i just tapped it clockwise once, and it moved a bit, so i did tighten it up some more. Didnt go crazy though. I cant spin it off by hand or by tapping lightly on the punch, so works for me.

yes, i just checked mine like that. i just tapped it clockwise once, and it moved a bit, so i did tighten it up some more. Didnt go crazy though. I cant spin it off by hand or by tapping lightly on the punch, so works for me.

Ah... thank you sir! Very good, then... an occasional tap with the hammer and punch keeps the tears away. :)

TC

If you have an 80 up with the stock TCI then you don't need to worry about it. Only the points or Pamco need the advancer.
Leo

Back