Time to assemble!

projectxs650

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
NEED ANSWERS: Time to assemble!

Alrighty guys, so after months and months of finding parts here and there; I now have the bulk of the parts i need to start assembling (besides the easier stuff like a battery and petcock).

I have started mocking up everything. When i first started it was kind of overwhelming having everything laid out on the floor and figuring out where what all goes and how it would fit. But now i a general idea of where things need to be, atleast the basics in order to get it to look like a bike.

Now its time for the fine details that i'm kind of lost on, hoping that you guys out there can help me out.

1) Battery. When i hook it up, their is a negative wire that hooks up to the frame, another that hooks to the engine; and a positive wire that hooks up to the engine as well. Is that all the wires when it comes to the battery? or are there additional negative/positive wires?

2) Carbs. I've got a 38mm carb that i think runs smoothly, haven't fully inspected it though; but all looks good......except the choke. The choke lever works, but the choke pins are stuck. I've dabbed some goo gone on both to see if that works, and tried to pull it up with pliers; nothing works. What i'm wondering is can i start the bike the first time without the choke? or is it essential to start the bike the first time around. My goal is to get the bike running, and then i can fine tune everything after.

3) Brakes. I have never delt with brakes before other than changing fluid, and I don't plan to run any front breaks (atleast for the time being). I don't have any break parts.....except for the rear drum brake assembly. Looking on some guidance on where i need to go/do in order to get this rear brake setup?

4) Oil. Like the brakes, i don't have any real experience with them except for fluid change. My friend gave me a old oil tank that he had laying around, as well as a few feet of tubing that fits it. its in good condition and does not leak. How would i go about hooking it up?

5) Misc tubing. Other than what i have listed above. Is there any additional fluid hook ups that i need to do?

My main goal. Is to get the bike running first, all i want to do is to be able to start the engine. After i do that, then i'm fine taking my time and fine tuning everything.

Thanks for all the help guys!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I can def help you on the brakes. So you're only running a rear drum brake, no front? I suggest you re-think that plan. Drum brakes are questionable at best, and that's when you run front AND rear. Just sayin'

I can def help you on the brakes. So you're only running a rear drum brake, no front? I suggest you re-think that plan. Drum brakes are questionable at best, and that's when you run front AND rear. Just sayin'

After i get the bike started i plan to run a front disk brake. But for now my concentration (and lack of funds) is focused towards getting the bike running. I won't even be riding it until i have everything. But until i do i can try and get the basics going.

I run a drum front brake and it works fine once it is properly adjusted. I rode without a front brake for a couple of weeks and it was not cool.
As for the oil tank, these bikes are wet sump so it is not needed, you can use it to hide your wiring though.

After i get the bike started i plan to run a front disk brake. But for now my concentration (and lack of funds) is focused towards getting the bike running. I won't even be riding it until i have everything. But until i do i can try and get the basics going.

:thumbsup:

The bike probably won't start when cold without a functioning choke. Take them apart, they're simple. Unscrew the brass hex fitting on each plunger. Once that is out, you can spray some penetrating oil down into the plunger. Warm it with a hair dryer or heat gun (on low). The plungers are probably gummed in there with gas residue. If they're that bad though, the rest of the carbs are probably worse. Don't use carb cleaner on the plungers, the bottoms are rubber and might be harmed.

Up at the top of the page there is a word. Tech, click on it and start at the top of the list and read everything.
Leo

Back