Timing is way retarded

ChewsVolt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
XS650s are new to me, I just got my new bike running with a carb, tank and petcock cleaning. I tried to set dynamic timing. It looked like it the points needed full advance to just barely get to the F mark while I was timing originally. Then something funny happened mid-stream, it got really retarded somehow as I was playing around with the points plate and cam chain tensioner. Suddenly the most advance I could get is to the red lines in this image-
lx_yqKSeWYDq7k19XMRGpx8G5kI7ol75MaxPY=w720-h540-no.jpg

Other questions- the lines I highlighted yellow- are those like a range for idle timing? there's 5 lines on there and I only expect to see the 3, I am guessing the full length lines I highlighted green.
Anyways I am clearly way off and if I take my points plate slightly off full advance the bike won't run any longer. Note there's no air filter currently, and I don't believe the bike was ever jetted for the degrading Uni filters that it came with. waiting to order new pods and jets ...Uni or K&N?
So i'd have to expect something like a chain jumping a tooth? I did let the tensioner out until I could just hear slap then tighten it back up while running. I wasn't really familiar with that process, so I was experimenting
But I found this article http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming.html
Removing the advance unit, I found that the pin points straight up on what I understand to be TDC, the far right green mark.
Any ideas what could have caused this?

HAHHHAAHAH! Just like THAT I figured it out. I went out to the garage to check my battery tender, looked at my timing light and thought "Could this HF light just be a POS?" I looked at my timing light and noticed I had bumped the advance knob on the light so it was strobing at a 60deg advamce! Good thing I didn't pull it apart to look at the chain HA!
So uh, Uni or K&N? MikesXS is out of BS38 KN knock-offs currently

That's a good thing. The K&Ns or K&N clones don't work that well on these CV carbs. Get the UNI foam pods. You will want the UNI UP4200 or UP4200ST (dual layer) for your BS38s.

Yes, the two yellow marks are for the idle timing range, 13° to 17° BTDC. Anywhere between those marks is acceptable but I think a range was really given to compensate for wear in the advance unit. As the unit wears, it advances more and can go past the full advance timing mark when you rev the motor. This lets you "adjust" for that.

5twins- thanks for the detailed response and part number. Is there a certain jetting you find successful with those filters?

You aren't alone, I've done the same thing with my light. should duct tape the knob.

"Is there a certain jetting you find successful with those filters?"

Can't quite see your exhaust or what year carbs you have in your picture....

Yep, live and learn, I am happy to have figured it out.
gggGary- I have the standard BS38s that are stock on the 78, and original exhausts. I don't know these bikes but I am pretty sure someone did a baffle-ectomy on them, I've never heard stock pipes so loud.

Back