Tire Size?

- thats going to depend on the brand of tyre and type of rear end you have, generally a 140/90 x 16 on a stock swingarm either wont go or is very tight-depending on the manufacturer, also tyre width is going to be determined by what you want, wider tyres tend to reduce handling responsiveness
- i tend to build for handling, prefer 18in rims and use a 120/90 x 18 tyre

130/90S-16 is about it.... with any room at all for alignment adjustments. That's the biggest (and it's not very big) that I can get in my 78 & 79 SE & SF. Limiting factor is: tire hitting the drive chain. Agree with INXS above, I've not found a 140/90that I could fit satisfactorily. Blue

I've got a 140 Avon Venom on the back of mine, they seem to be a bit narrower than some makes, though I have only got a few mm clearance both sides

thanks fellas, I'll be running a David Bird hardtail. just curious what the max width is to fit on a stock 16'' rim

- 3.00 x 16...rim, here is an indication of what tyre size is recommended for relevant rim sizes

...tyre..............rim​
130/90-16...2.50 - 3.50​
140/90-16...2.75 - 3.75​
150/80-16...3.00 - 4.00​

I run a Continental 130/90-16 and its a bit wider than most tires of this size and leaves me about 1/4" clearance on the swingarm. Wider tire requires wider swingarm and wider wheel.

I'm surprised I haven't read here of anyone modifying (widening) the swing. Seems someone with jigging and welding skills should try it. How about you Twojugs, INXS. Mule?

- when we were younger we chopped up all sorts of triumphs, nortons bsa's, ajs's, a couple of vincents etc, ran all sorts of rear wheels and tyres...these days i prefer snappy handling with a little extra power, dont feel the need for offset sprockets, jack shafts etc...more than happy to leave that to the young bloods :smoke::bike:

- when we were younger we chopped up all sorts of triumphs, nortons bsa's, ajs's, a couple of vincents etc, ran all sorts of rear wheels and tyres...these days i prefer snappy handling with a little extra power, dont feel the need for offset sprockets, jack shafts etc...more than happy to leave that to the young bloods
Can I hear an "Amen"? :thumbsup:

I run a 5" Kenda on the stock Yamaha alloy 16" rim. It clears by about 1/4" on each side. Note that you can gain a little clearance with the wheel adjusted farther back in the swing arm. That, of course, depends on your chain length. I also made my own chain guard which helps some.

In other words, you can run a wider 16" than an 18" because of the way the swing arm narrows toward the front.

Runnin a 140/90 Metzler ME99 with no problems.

Attachments

• rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    rsz_bike_done_015.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,048
I've got a 140 Avon Venom on the back of mine, they seem to be a bit narrower than some makes, though I have only got a few mm clearance both sides

I was reading the old threads on tire size and came across your post. What height sidewall is your 140 tire? I'm having a little trouble tracking one down in a 16.

On any bike the major limiting factor is not the swing arm, it the drive chain. A 140 wide tire can and will rub on the chain but still have room to the swing arm.
A 150 will definitely rub the chain. Even with spacers on the sprockets to move the chain away from the tire a 150 is the max I would run on the stock wheel.
Leo

Back