Tires

I'm buying strictly Shinko 712's for my small bikes and Shinko Tour Master's for my bigger bikes. I buy most of them from Chaparral on eBay.

Scott

I have premium shocks on all my bikes and I spent the money. I suppose great tires are out there as opposed to merely good, or only fair. Do some research on Continental Classic Attack radials. That's right, radials in 100/90/19 and 110/90/18 sizes for our old bikes.

Tom

What material? Rubber or wood?

Fresh rubber is my preference. XS650 runs a different brand than my XS1100. I once took a tire off my XS650 and mounted it on the XS1100 rear. The 1100 was shredding it. The license plate was black with rubber debris in an afternoon ride. Same tire is great on the 650

I run Shinko's on my 650 and on my HD. I've found the difference in price normally relates to the softness of the rubber which just equals wear time. The Shinko won't last as long as a Continental or an Avon but unless you tour on your machine it won't make much difference.

Well, in general, cheap tires have a harder compound, they last longer but have less grip. The expensive tires usually have softer compounds, more grip and less mileage. I've found the Shinko's to be a great combination of great price and acceptable mileage. I'd much rather change tires than run hard compound tires that let loose of the pavement when braking or cornering.

Scott

Wingedwheel, that was interesting. I guess I do like the rounder profile, I like to pull the bike over to get into a turn, it sort of fights back, instead of the bike flicking into a turn. The part about stiff sidewall vs soft sidewall..........I'll have to think more about that.

Scott

Back