Too much load?

jdm9123

78 xs650SE
Reaction score
Hey guys. My battery is dying in 100 mile intervals. I purchased the CBTX14AHL-BS AGM Battery from mikes xs. Currently on the bike that uses electricity I have a stock headlamp, starter motor, aftermarket taillight, a aftermarket 2.25" speedo and tac, and the pamco ignition with the high output coil. When the battery begins to die I can rev the motor and the headlight will get brighter and dimmer as it decels. Do I have too much load for this battery? I charge the battery after it dies and like I said before it will run about 100 miles and then die. I try to use the kick starter as much as possible but it still drains it till the point where the headlamp will no longer illuminate. Any thoughts?

you have a charging system issue.

1. check between the two slip rings on your rotor. should have about 5.5 ohm i believe.

report back to us.

up to 6 ohms is ok. do you have it wired properl? leve your turn signal on?
my rotor is at 5.8, and wonder if it will hold up to its maiden voyage 1.5 miles away to the nearest gas pump.

headlight getting brighter and dimmer says it may have output ok, but could have a problem with regulation or rectifier or battery itself wouldn't know without checking with a good meter

regulator is my uneducated guess...my bike wouldnt charge or pop up to 14.5 when blipping the throttle. got a new one and all was good. that was after my agm battery from mikes took a shit. it checked out allright (the battery), but as soon as a load was applied to went to basically nothing. so, get a load test maybe. if that is fine then bypass the regulator.

i say all of this without being any type of guru, just stuff that will hopefully maybe point you in a direction.

Hey guys. My battery is dying in 100 mile intervals. I purchased the CBTX14AHL-BS AGM Battery from mikes xs. Currently on the bike that uses electricity I have a stock headlamp, starter motor, aftermarket taillight, a aftermarket 2.25" speedo and tac, and the pamco ignition with the high output coil. When the battery begins to die I can rev the motor and the headlight will get brighter and dimmer as it decels. Do I have too much load for this battery? I charge the battery after it dies and like I said before it will run about 100 miles and then die. I try to use the kick starter as much as possible but it still drains it till the point where the headlamp will no longer illuminate. Any thoughts?

Seems symtoms of a bad voltage regulator as most have said but could possibly be worn brushes in the alternator. Only takes minute to check them.

Sounds like your charging system has a problem. Check the Voltage with a multimeter at the battery while its running. You should be reading about 14.5 Volts DC. If not rev it slightly and see hoe it responds. Could be a number of issues.

OOPS sorry I did not see other posts above. I would also guess regulator. It would be a good investment to purchase a modern regulator/rectifier combination if it is your regulator. Much better than your stock system
Mikes Part #24-2089

Solid State Rectifier Regulator - Replaces Original individual units used on
1970-79 650's. Comes with connector block/terminal kits and instructions to
wire in direct to Original wiring harness.

Even with everything lookin basically right, including the lights getting brighter, you can still have a problem.

I discovered that at a certain place I was reading >14v but about 13 at the battery. But when the bike wasn't running, there was 13 at the battery, but less than 12 at that same place. When I dug into it there was a bad, twisted, connection that had become high resistance. It was a fascinating little phenomenon really. It had to mean there was a high resistance connection somewhere between the two points.

Once I found that and fixed it, it gave me a whole new appreciation of the charging system. I don't think it's as weak as they claim, by and large. If it's in good shape.

Thank you all for your help. I do have a good snap on meter and will check the brushes. Is there a way to check the regulator by itself by isolating it or not?

well, I took off the brush holder backet and low and behold I think I find my problem. The +12 hot brush is only 6mm long and was no longer soldered to the top metal piece. The ground brush was stuck in the bracket and I don't believe it was making any contact with the slip ring at all since it was about 11mm long. Someone had wrapped the bracket in electrical tape because half of the bracket was cracked and pieces of metal were missing. I did check the resistance from slip ring to slip ring and got 5.8 ohms so I knew that was good. I didn't check the regulator or rectifier yet because the brushes and bracket must be replaced.

brushes2.jpg

Brushes1.jpg

brushes.jpg

Back