Too Steep angle rearshocks

schioler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey i am building a new bike and
Have added a bratkit and an extended swingarm.

I Want to know if The rearshock Angel i too Steep
If yes- what to do about it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzePdl2IzEGkak8tYTBhcnM2aW8/view?usp=sharing

view

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Adding an extended swing arm changes the shock angle. This decreases the amount of swing arm travel. Adding the brat kit, if it maintains the original top mount will have the same effect.
If it moves the top mount then it's hard to say what the effect might be. Just lower it increases the angle even more. If rearward then it might be close to stock angle. Combine the two directions and it increases the angle even more.
Leo

Man, that angle would scare me away. That's a lot of stress on those shocks. It's looks like you have access to decent equipment, make new lower shock mounts and weld them further up on the swing arm. At least then you can keep the extended wheel base but have the shocks in a position where they will actually work.

Scioler,
Hmmm... I seem to recall several other builds with similar shock angles. They needed hellaciously powerful springs, because of the changes in the whole suspension geometry (and I almost flunked geometry), and yes, it reduces the amount of swing arm travel, but it should work. Look at the shock angle of a Ninja. Granted, it's a mono-shock, but the principles should be the same. And I like how you've retained the line of the backbone. Congratulations! You've invented the "UN-RIGID"!

yes the angel scares me too - maybe it will
work with a set of heavy duty 13" progressive suspension 412
mounted - i would really not have the shock collapsing while riding..

Just gonna be straight, I don't see that working at all. Consider like I said, move the lower mounts foward to give the suspension a chance....

Ok - i hear what your saying and i am really scared of that angle too ...
what if it make a new mount for the top - like on the photo?

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 141
  • xs650_2.jpg
    xs650_2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
i will do that - and i am thinking of installing a
set of progressive suspension 412 - 13.5" the ones
on the picture seems too short..

Hi scioler,
of course it will work AND it looks really nice.
The line of the shocks makes the frame look like it was a rigid.
Thing is, with the shocks laid down like that they don't move all that much, meaning the suspension will be really soft unless you put really strong springs on the shocks.
Alternatively, fit shorter springs with fewer coils in them and put spacing sleeves in to take up the distance.

Back