Top end rebuild cost

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was riding along and my engine went to shit this morning. I got it to a shop and they said it needs a top end rebuild. I'm fairly confident in my wrenching skills, so I don't mind doing it, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much it's going to cost me in parts. Thanks a lot.

That depends how extensive the parts list gets and how much of the work you do yourself. If you just need to go in there and replace the normal stuff like rings, front cam chain guide, and cam chain, you can figure about $200. If it needs to be bored, figure another $200 or so.

That's not out of the ballpark for labor, but you can do this yourself. You do have to pull the motor, and you should invest in or make a stand for it (there are a number of ready-made ones you can buy).

But to rewind, your engine doesn't go to shit all at once and need a rebuild. You haven't provided much info - how long have you been riding it? How was it running before? What exactly does 'go to shit' mean in real life?

It's entirely likely the shop doesn't have a clue what's wrong and doing a top end rebuild is an easy thing to tell you and lucrative. Unless they're going to also tune the bike after the rebuild, your bike will still likely run like shit. Then they're going to have you on the ropes and ask for another $400 in labor to tune the carbs. Then they'll tell you the carbs need to be cleaned and rebuilt - another $300.

See where this goes? Find out whats actually wrong with your bike before paying a shop to do anything or doing it yourself. Test the compression, do a leak-down. Confirm timing/valve lash. Clean/tune your carbs.

Yes, once they have you in there, you're done. I'm helping a local newbie 650 owner. He wanted new tires. I told him to just buy some and we'd change them. He said he didn't want to put me out and found a shop who quoted him "about" $250 for the tires and install. I told him for Dunlops, that didn't sound too bad. Well, $400+ later, he has his bike back with new tires, lol.

The local shop might be full of shit. If your ride went to shit all of a sudden and the shop said you needed a top end rebuild without being more specific. I really do not trust mechanics.

So - what specifically is wrong with it?

Yeah.....more info for sure.

However figuring:

pistons
rings
gasket set
seals
cam chain
front cam chain guide

the total comes to

$386.50 using the "parts supplier not to be named"

When I had my cylinder done they charged me $100 if I remember correct.

So if you do the labor......$486.50 -ish......depending on your machine shop costs.

Labor......I actually had my buddy do mine in his shop cause I was swamped. He charges $40 an hour......took 5 hours to pull the motor, do the top end, prep, paint and re-install the motor. He actually pulled the motor all the way down and took it to be cleaned at the machine shop.

So another $200 in labor......but I suspect most places dont work that cheap.....and he probably low-balled the "hours it took to do the job".

Thats some wild ball park figures.

Upon further inspection, i appear to have blown a fair amount of oil out the left exhaust pipe. I think im just going to pull the motor tomorrow and open it up to see what is actually wrong.

Not to hi- jack, but this is related to your project. 5Twins, you mention replacing the front cam chain guide. Is it not standard procedure to replace the rear one as well?

Yes, the rear one holds up well and isn't usually in need of replacement. It may get some slight grooves worn in it from the chain but it doesn't fall apart like the front guide. It's more of a big solid block of rubber instead of a thin strip attached to aluminum like the front.

I agree with 5TWINS front guide always change but I have had good luck with stock back one. Just to throw my two cents in here. You better break down your motor first before you can come up with a number. I have had motors come in with 8,000 miles and blow oil out the pipes and rings shot guides shot. Also keep in mind TOOLS if you don't have tools to do a head you got to borrow or buy. Cam chain same thing NEW ONE comes with link I have seen them beat together but that's scary may come apart again right tool good job. If a motor comes in and its got to be a rebuild do it right first time take it all the way down and replace seals and all gaskets. Done right saves you money in the long run. I have done top end rebuilds for guys then they get a seal leak better pressure in bottom end old seals. So unless the shop you took it to broke it down a little and did some tests on motor I would find out for yourself first. How many miles on this motor do you know???? If you get stuck or think you are in over your head my shop doors are always open I am about 3 hours away from you and have tools. Rebuilding 5 motors now. YOU BUY LUNCH HAHA.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the motor has 14000 miles on it. I should have most of the tools I need. If I end up getting in over my head, I very well might take you up on that offer.

I would do pistons and rings. Offer stands I get a lot of guys come to shop to get there bikes looked at. I only charge LUNCH.... I am RETIRED and just have fun now.

Well when I did it I pulled the springs, replaced the valve seats, media blasted the whole head (walnut shell media so it won't damage the aluminum and any left in will just burn yup in the engine), re ground/lapped my valves and ports. I did a whole port and polish job on it I guess. This was the only part of my build that I payed someone else to do to be honest....and I made the mistake of bringing my yammy parts to a harley shop.....took them "3 days" which really meant 5 weeks...... you don't need to do a whole port and polish though, just pull the valves, clean up the ports some, replace the seats and maybe lap the valves before you put them back in.

I think you mean "replace the valve guide seals". Replacing valve seats isn't something many of us are capable of, especially at home in our garages.

Back